Haunted places in Hoboken?

10/30/2008 BUMP:

Just wanted to bump this post from December 2006 – many of you might have missed it… way back in 411’s first year!

12/9/2006:
spooky.jpgThis should have been put up way back around Halloween, but here we go anyway!

A reader sent in this website with a silly list of supposedly haunted places in New Jersey.

Any other spooky places in town (other than City Hall?) Or other known urban legends that have existed over the years?

Here’s the two from this site:

Arthur’s Tavern – There is supposedly three ghosts who haunt this huge restaurant. There are reports from employees of footsteps, lights going on and off or flickering, doors opening by themselves, a clipboard flying off a desk, whispers, and someone’s hair being pulled.

The Brass Rail Restaurant – The restaurant is over 100 years old. Waiters and waitresses have seen the ghosts of a bride, groom and wedding parties walking down the spiral staircase of the two-story restaurant, late at night, when they’re cleaning up.

1. escaped68 says:

2. bornandrazedinhobo says:

[quote comment=”115887″]The La bruno family lived there in the 50’s , I wonder if it is the spirit of someone who crossed “Mickey the wise guy”.[/quote]

If the ghost were a LaBruno, money would be missing from you wallet or purse often!

3. CreativeAngel says:

[quote comment=”115697″]I’d like to trade in my two cats for cat ghosts. You don’t have to feed cat ghosts or take them to the vet.[/quote]

Aw-w, no! LOL.

4. truth1 says:

City Hall – The Tax and Parking Meter Ghouls 😈

5. manolo says:

I lived over Mickey’s bar on 3rd & River during the 50’s. Was he related to LaBrunos’? They had a produce store on 9th St {LaBruno} during the 60’s I remember.

6. escaped68 says:

• joey maxim says:

escape up stairs was where the action was..the old man would hit the cealing with a broom if people took to much time..nips 50 cents a piece go go girls and fights golore.the
      dutchmen would get rolled in the holland house..Mickey would say (are u alright? then there was Joe Canary,,what a crew…the blue haven was a good place to get your noggen rearranged..[quote comment=”115971″]I think it was called the blue lagoon? and i’m pretty sure he was the father, a short guy but he was always smiling.[/quote]

7. kal-el says:

8. CreativeAngel says:

[quote comment=”116351″]It would be cool to actually have a list of all these places and actually do something around Halloween.[/quote]
    [quote comment=”115959″]City Hall – The Tax and Parking Meter Ghouls 😈 [/quote]

We can f*ck tax hikes over with our own Hoboken Ghostly tours! And they don’t have to happen ONLY on Halloween!

9. navymom2 says:

Between 1966 and 1969. I was a student nurse at St. Mary’s Hospital now University Hospital on Willow ave. Our residence building dated back to the Cival War. We had an old Otis elevator whichconnected 4 floors. At night the elevator would go up and down on it’s own for hours at a time. The doors would open and close by themselves with no one in the elevator. Through several nights of experiments and observation we discovered this wasn’t possible without someone inside. One we heard the doors open and someone got out and walked in the hallway near our rooms, we were too scared to look. Older graduates told us an unhappy nurse who had returned to live inthe residence after her husband left her. She supposed hanged herself on the third floor. This building has been destroyed and Aa new one was constructed and added to the rest of the hospital it would be on Willow and 4th. I am interested to know if she has made her presence known in the new building or anyone else’ssimilar memories. thank you Sharon Mcintyre

10. whineanddineinhob says:

• whineanddineinhob says:

Correction: The re-located nurses’ residence would have an “odd” street address probably 309 or 311 Willow Ave.[quote comment=”217618″]That is so funny. If I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that the building where the student nurses’ resided was attached to the hospital? Was that the “old” St. Mary building? When the “old” hospital was being rebuilt in sections, the student nurses residence was re-located to 308 Willow Ave which is across the street from the hospital near Bosworth Funeral Home. I don’t believe this building is used anymore with nurses associated with the hospital.[/quote]

• navymom2 says:

Our residence between 66 and 69 was adjacent to the ER and consisted of 4 floors of residence rooms. It was definitely attachedto the hospital at that time. I believe it was moved after the construction of the new building. I just wonder where our elevator riding ghost went to and who she’s visiting.[quote comment=”217618″]That is so funny. If I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that the building where the student nurses’ resided was attached to the hospital? Was that the “old” St. Mary building? When the “old” hospital was being rebuilt in sections, the student nurses residence was re-located to 308 Willow Ave which is across the street from the hospital near Bosworth Funeral Home. I don’t believe this building is used anymore with nurses associated with the hospital.[/quote]

11. escaped68 says:

I remember the nurse residence was on 4th st. between willow ave and clinton st. across from OLG church side door. It had these homely fat nurses in blue capes and white hats going in and out all of the time.