Hoboken Week in Review: 9/5/2010
It may be Labor Day Weekend, but 411 is still here!
Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend – below is your weekly refresh of the Mile Square!
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, September 5, 2010:
Politics and City Happenings
Lots of miscellaneous politics this past week – but stay tuned for an even more interesting political brief on Monday!
- Show of Strength – Never before has such a large attendance been seen at a Hoboken City Council Meeting, as city cops and supporters bash the Zimmer plan to fire – while she hires and promotes her own people.
- The Hurricane that wasn’t – Mr. Earl – who for a moment looked like he was going to batter and abuse the Hoboken and NYC area – decides he has better things to do. Whew!
- WRONG! – NJ Transit turns it’s back on Hoboken, making the weekend service useless. A Hoboken411 story gets action – and may lead to positive results. All depends on the capabilities of certain council members.
- Marathon! – Those Police Officers I mentioned above – had a slight role in making the City Council meeting seven hours long. The 3+ hour brigade of brilliant comments at the mic helped.
- MESSY! – The Hoboken Municipal Garage may need lots of paperwork to cover the various locations they’re currently occupying. Three words: A Giant Mess.
- GROSS! – Some water main work caused alarm in Hoboken – because the water looked like something you’d call out sick for.
- What? – Yeah, another Municipal Garage fumble. Five Hoboken Parking Utility trucks felt the need to park in handicap spots at a downtown garage. They got ticketed and towed. Who’s in charge here??
Crime and Incidents
- Ladies Beware! – NEVER walk home alone after drinking. The girls that got robbed last week would agree.
- What’s Emily Up To? – Hoboken Resident Emily Grace is (sort of) missing. Family being weird about it – her bag found in Florida. What is that girl doing?
- Choo-Choo Lover – A man who has a seriously long history of stalking public transit vehicles – takes one for a joy ride from Hoboken – and gets busted for the 26th time.
- The September 11th Crime – Questions still exist about the truth behind the 9/11 disaster
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to find out what those sirens are for!
Business & Events
- WICKED! – Wicked Wolf Tavern opens it’s doors THIS WEEK!
- That’s Amore! – The Annual Hoboken Italian Festival starts this week too!
- Finally doomed? – Blockbuster all weird about their non-stop bankruptcy talk. Will Hoboken’s location close?
- Cook for me please! – Sapori “Dream Foods” Catering to open uptown. They have an impressive list of famous clients.
- Purple Gravestonz – An odd, hardly needed sexy store on 14th Street finally makes the bed and leaves the room called Hoboken.
Other Hoboken Updates
- MUST WATCH! – No joke. If you want to understand the things that penetrate your eyes, mind and ears on a daily basis – this full-length documentary is required watching. You’ll thank me later.
- Bat-Dance – The Hoboken Batman just dances all the time like he ate a palette of Cocoa-Puffs.
- Wee-oooh Wee-ooh – The U Store It facility uptown must also store alarm sirens – one goes off all the time at insane hours!
- Who Bought It? – A comprehensive list of the last 4,000 Real Estate transactions in Hoboken, NJ since January 2008. (yeah that averages out to about 125 sales per month. Or 30 per week. Or four per day. Not too shabby.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap.”– Ayn Rand