Hoboken Week in Review: 8/8/2010
Spin the Bottle in Hoboken!
Jail sentences, nepotism, crime, hypocrisy, and a dash of business, pinch of cupcake batter and more!
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, August 8, 2010:
Politics and City Happenings
- Forward Cammarano mail to: – The pen! The Peter Cammarano story has an ending to “Part I.” Filming begins for “Part II” in September 2012.
- Robbing pigs to pay gophers? – Haha! Kidding about the “pigs” part, but Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer is hell-bent on having less law-enforcement officers, with the hope that more law-abiding citizens just behave. Oh, now her coffee-gophers have more money for khakis and haircuts.
- Hoboken’s Donald Trump – Zimmer says “you’re fired” to 18 HPD officers. Police unions respond with lengthy message.
- What an ugly mess – Nope. Not referring to the sad state of political affairs here in town – but the shabby fences and gobs of goose-droppings at an upscale condo complex.
Crime and Incidents
- Gay Harassment – People can get out of control verbally, mentally and physically when consuming alcohol. One gay couple experiences some unpleasant times at an uptown bar / restaurant.
- Bold Burglars – The tide seems to be turning – Cat burglars have made several appearances in Hoboken, after a long drought. Makes the police presence in town that much more important.
- Bike Thievery – Another trend in Hoboken is that bicycles are getting nicked more often as well. Not promising news at all. Damn you, economy!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to get the pulse of the city. You can’t make half the stuff up!
Business & Events
- Walgreens almost done! – The fanciest drug store in town is practically done in one of the most historic buildings on the Avenue.
- More Uptown Pizza Soon! – Soon, the spot at 11th and Park will no longer be called “the old Ted & Jo’s – but rather whatever the final name of the new pizza place will be!
- Halliburton heads downtown – The Hoboken Realtor closes the Washington Street office and calls First Street their exclusive home now.
- Oh, Rosario – Hoboken411 hadn’t given much love to Rosario’s Pizza in a long time – so I finally updated the listing, and have planned for an updated review coming soon.
- Peek inside the mind of Brian – Park & Sixth’s much loved owner and chef expresses his thought process behind the scenes.
- And MORE! – Hoboken411 back with another weekly site update at what has changed! (New Feature)
Other Hoboken Updates
- Jenn Sterger gets x-rated pics from Brett Favre – See video of what Jenn Sterger had to say about the on-again, off-again QB!
- Can’t make everyone happy (in Hoboken at least) – Cake Boss makes thousands of fans happy each week. However, locals here in Hoboken aren’t in that group it seems.
- Now with extra radiation! – MetroPCS installs another cell tower. New brain tumor doctors office can’t be too far behind!
- Sweet Black Lamborghini – Hoboken residents oooh and aaah as they glimpse one of the sportiest cars on the road.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.”– Bernard Berenson