Hoboken Week in Review: 8/1/2010
Hello August, Hoboken!
Here’s your weekly recap of what took place in Hoboken, NJ the past week!
The most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, August 1, 2010:
Politics and City Happenings
- Temporary Home – The City of Hoboken leases some garage space from the City of Weehawken. Yes, we write them the checks. Thanks to 411 for “shining the light,” it didn’t end up in your neighborhood!
- Way to bring added revenue to Hoboken? – The flailing economy has a wide-reaching impact – from regular citizens, to cities across America. Officials in Miami, FL came up with a great idea to bring in a couple million per year. Why don’t our officials think of other ways to get cash than raping property taxpayers, local businesses, and just about everyone else?
- Apply here! Sorry, no jobs! – The city is trying to layoff cops – but still advertises job applications!
- Where should cops park? – Do you think the same rules applied to residents should apply to on-duty emergency workers?
Crime and Incidents
- Sex Offender Nabbed – Hoboken Police arrest a man from Florida for failing to register as a Sex Offender, as required by law.
- Drug Paraphernalia – Hoboken residents notice the increase of drug-related junk on the sidewalk – including hypodermic needles!
- Live Action! – Tune in to Hoboken411’s live police and fire action channel any time of the day to get the pulse of the city. You can’t make half the stuff up!
Business & Events
- That’s Amore! – Dozzino Artisanal Pizza – complete with chef straight from Italy – set to knock Hoboken residents out at the end of the Summer.
- Next Stop: West End Station – A new restaurant from one of Hoboken’s most well known Chefs is opening at the SkyClub later this month!
- Hoboken’s newest waterfront hot spot – The Wicked Wolf Tavern progressing nicely – will give waterfront dining patrons another option in September.
- Kiddie Yoga – The empty storefront at 10th and Bloomfield didn’t last long – Mimi Kids Yoga now making Hoboken children stronger and healthier.
- A better fit to the ‘hood – Long an eyesore (and foot sore) downtown, Daniel Wine & Liquor gets a makeover, bringing a sigh of relief to area residents.
- Signing OFF! – Signature Kitchen throws in the towel – makes way for existing biz owner to open up a new TACO shop.
- Wish it wasn’t so! – A longtime establishment on Washington St. says goodbye to the strip.
- Safe Night Out – The Annual National Night Out which promotes safety and common sense awareness – takes place over in the Hoboken Projects this week. Hoboken Police, Fire and other agencies on hand for demonstrations and giveaways.
- And MUCH, MUCH MORE! – Hoboken411 constantly makes business updates behind the scenes here – your weekly look at what has changed! (New Feature)
Other Hoboken Updates
- Uh Oh, Pit Bulls Again! – The Pit Bull breed gets a bad rap sometimes. One Hoboken couple is having a tough time finding an apartment building that will rent to them.
- Brotherly Update – Toll Brothers is a big developer in Hoboken – some recent updates regarding new projects, problematic practices, and possibly misleading customers.
Inspirational Quotes of the Week:
“I am a true laborer: I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man’s happiness, glad of other’s good”– William Shakespeare
“Jealousy is the fear or apprehension of superiority: envy our uneasiness under it”– William Shenstone