St. Anns Festival 2010

7/26/2010 Update:

Procession in Progress

The Procession with St. Ann is in progress in and around many streets in Hoboken. Expect temporary street closures and traffic re-direction as a result.

7/12/2010:

100th Annual St. Ann’s Festival in Hoboken!

This year, the tradition brought over from Italy by the founders of St. Ann’s Church celebrates its 100th anniversary. The festival promises to be bigger and better than ever. Opening Wednesday evening, July 21st at 6pm, in the streets surrounding St. Ann’s at Jefferson and Sixth St., the Feast offers authentic Italian foods, the world’s best homemade zeppoles, and nightly entertainment, starting at 8:15 pm.

The Feast continues through St. Ann’s day, Monday, July 26, with the procession of the statue through the streets of Hoboken, starting around noon. See scheduled performers below.

2010 Hoboken St. Anns Feast Schedule

Wednesday, July 21st

Thursday, July 22nd

Friday, July 23rd

• Cover Band for 25 years: The Nerds (8:15pm)

Saturday, July 24th

Sunday, July 25th

Monday, July 26th

1. beerzgood says:

Start your whining in 3 2 1

2. hobokendave says:

WHIIIIIIIINE.

• getz76 says:

Me and you both.

Same freaking food at every festival, anyway. Nothing really “Italian” about it.[quote comment=”194511″]WHIIIIIIIINE.Lived here for 20 years, went once; never again. I’m Italian but I want nothing to do with the “Jersey Shore” types that invade St. Ann’s.[/quote]

• Easy-E says:

A fried oreo isn’t Italian? What the hell? It ends in an o!

Next thing you’re gonna tell me is that those mozzarella corn cakes aren’t being sold by Sicilians.

[quote comment=”194512″]Me and you both.Same freaking food at every festival, anyway. Nothing really “Italian” about it.

[/quote]

• Dperez says:

I agree, This whole Jersey Shore thing pisses me off. Not all people from Jersey are like these people, some of us are educated. [quote comment=”194511″]WHIIIIIIIINE.Lived here for 20 years, went once; never again. I’m Italian but I want nothing to do with the “Jersey Shore” types that invade St. Ann’s.[/quote]

3. Stabone130 says:

St. Ann’s is 7th & Jeff.

Why is it until 11pm this year? Thought its usually wrapped up at 10pm (which means people actually clear out by 11). This year, they’ll be hanging around during the week til Midnight.

Waking up at 5am for work is always fun that week. Don’t understand why a church gets a special exception to the noise ordinance.

4. escaped68 says:

While my son was in high school he was working for a man who ran one of those food stands at the garden state arts canter. He worked weekends during the spring and fall at the so called ethnic festivals. The food was always the same the only things that changed were the signs and the flags other then that everything else was the same.

5. catdill45 says:

I wonder if the Cake Boss will have a stand there….. ❓

6. pawzclawz says:

Would anyone like some cheese with their whine?

7. whineanddineinhob says:

No vendor at the feast is allowed to sell them other than the feast committee.

• explorergirl605 says:

thats because theyre known for them.. and they over charge them to get more money.[quote comment=”194536″]St.Ann’s is probably the only festival in the area that has a monopoly on the zeppole sales.
      No vendor at the feast is allowed to sell them other than the feast committee.[/quote]

• xyzpdq says:

That’s because they have the best zeppole (or ZAY-poles, as they call ’em round these parts) in the world. I can’t stomach greasy vendor zeppole anymore. St. Ann’s ruined it for me. This is my favorite Hoboken feast.[quote comment=”194536″]St.Ann’s is probably the only festival in the area that has a monopoly on the zeppole sales.

8. macncheese says:

correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think ANYONE from outside the St. Ann’s Parish has ever won the 50/50. EVER. Not in 100 years. I find that very very strange.

9. MF says:

• whineanddineinhob says:

Well evidently you weren’t around in the early 70’s when bottles were thrown from roof tops by ethnic groups who felt left out of the festivities even though they were Roman Catholics and attended religious services. Your way of thinking of having one’s OWN ethnic festival only gives the wrong message by saying: THIS IS MY FESTIVAL, AND YOU DON’T BELONG HERE. It’s been working out fine now for over 30 years without incident, probably before you flown here, and will be here long after your gone. So, Give ME a break[quote comment=”194585″]Latin night, at an Italian festival. Give. Me. A. Break. Have we becomes so PC that we need to cater to people at a freakin’ ethnic festival?? Americans are becoming such soft liberal wussies. Frank Sinatra is rolling over in his grave. …Pointless to have an ethnic festival if you corrupt it like this. There’s nothing wrong with everyone having their OWN ethnic festivals and showing their pride in their OWN heritage.[/quote]

• Dperez says:

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t Italian considered one of the “Latin” languages? Get a grip, Latin night is fun. So what if you are listening to salsa music while eating a zeppoli? Who cares, it’s 2010, get out of the dark ages.[quote comment=”194585″]Latin night, at an Italian festival. Give. Me. A. Break. Have we becomes so PC that we need to cater to people at a freakin’ ethnic festival?? Americans are becoming such soft liberal wussies. Frank Sinatra is rolling over in his grave. …Pointless to have an ethnic festival if you corrupt it like this. There’s nothing wrong with everyone having their OWN ethnic festivals and showing their pride in their OWN heritage.[/quote]

• hbknbred says:

I agree, I’m italian, and I have just as much fun on Latin night as I do any other night. I think it’s great that the feast shows respect for other ethnicities as well. If people can’t see the fun in a “FESTIVAL”, then you cant see the fun in anything. Under the beer tent we’re all one ethnicity… drunk. 😀 [quote comment=”194702″]If I’m not mistaken, isn’t Italian considered one of the “Latin” languages? Get a grip, Latin night is fun. So what if you are listening to salsa music while eating a zeppoli? Who cares, it’s 2010, get out of the dark ages.[/quote]

10. homeworld says:

I have no problems with the St. Ann’s festival. But the people that whine about the one day disruption of the St. Patrick’s Day parade should come hang out for the week-long St. Ann’s in the 7th and Jefferson neighborhood.

11. hbknbred says:

• hbknbred says:

excuse my spelling, i wrote this in a fury! ha no hard feelings though, i’m just saying.[quote comment=”194611″]instead of everyone complaining, why not educate yourself on the 100 year history of the feast and trace its traditions back to italy. Before all the yuppies in their 650k condos were on 7th and Jeff, imiigrants from italy, ireland and the rest of the world migrated around NYC. They’re the ones that built Hoboken into what it is, everyone that complains about the city should just move it, you’re not from her, we dont want you. My grandparents look forward to this feast because its one of the few times each year that they’re able to get everyone together and enjoy the festivities and the music and the traditions of the church. If you ask me, the respect the city shows for the feast is one of the only things its doing right.[/quote]

• getz76 says:

I have no problem with the festival, but how is it Italian at this point? Italian festivals ended in the 1980s. Now, it is just a street fair. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. [quote comment=”194611″]instead of everyone complaining, why not educate yourself on the 100 year history of the feast and trace its traditions back to italy. Before all the yuppies in their 650k condos were on 7th and Jeff, imiigrants from italy, ireland and the rest of the world migrated around NYC. They’re the ones that built Hoboken into what it is, everyone that complains about the city should just move it, you’re not from her, we dont want you. My grandparents look forward to this feast because its one of the few times each year that they’re able to get everyone together and enjoy the festivities and the music and the traditions of the church. If you ask me, the respect the city shows for the feast is one of the only things its doing right.[/quote]

• whineanddineinhob says:

Agreed to a point. You asked “how is it Italian at this point”? Both of the “so-called” Italian festivals (St.Ann’s & Madonna dei Martiri, held in September) reserve one day during their schedule for it’s traditional processions which date back hundreds of years in Italy. Though the procession of St.Ann is now carried out by parishioners (not necessarily Italian), it remains true to it’s origin. Same said for Madonna dei Martiri Society from St. Francis Church which carries out it’s “Blessing of the fleet” and procession of their Patron Saint of Molfetta, Italy. A decline in the society members of both festivals and followers have made it necessary to reach out to the entire community for help to support their traditions for another year. Many years ago, these festivals only catered to Italians with opera arias and Italian commedians on their bandstands. Left out were the Germans, Irish and other ethnic groups residing in town. The early 70’s brought change. Ethnic groups demanded (rightfully so) to be included in the festivals that their church supported. This brought about Latino night and Rock bands for them and their young to feel included, since other than Italians, they dominated church attendance in these parishes. Other acts followed. So, one day put aside for it’s Italian traditions, the remaining days are for the entire community to hopefully enjoy, and with their attendance and support, have another year to look forward to. Most Italians who have left town will likely return to participate on this one day put aside. For St.Ann’s this year it is the feast day and procession on Monday July 26th, and procession of Madonna Dei Martiri at Sinatra Park this year on Saturday Sept 11th and a rain date of Sept 12th.[quote comment=”194613″]Actually, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and New Jersey Transit and various mortgage lenders built Hoboken into what it is today. Without that PATH train and the NJT-126 bus, Hoboken is just Bayonne.Before all the yuppies and the $650k condos, people were RUNNING AWAY from Hoboken. Let us not rewrite history into the Hoboken of the 1960s-1980s as being some type of paradise. I have family that were here at that time that moved to Newark because it was nicer. Yeah. Really.I have no problem with the festival, but how is it Italian at this point? Italian festivals ended in the 1980s. Now, it is just a street fair. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

[/quote]

• getz76 says:

So in the end, just like you are unlikely to get hit with a bottle in the head, you are likely to get a samosa at the festival. :)[quote comment=”194640″]Agreed to a point. You asked “how is it Italian at this point”? Both of the “so-called” Italian festivals (St.Ann’s & Madonna dei Martiri, held in September) reserve one day during their schedule for it’s traditional processions which date back hundreds of years in Italy. Though the procession of St.Ann is now carried out by parishioners (not necessarily Italian), it remains true to it’s origin. Same said for Madonna dei Martiri Society from St. Francis Church which carries out it’s “Blessing of the fleet” and procession of their Patron Saint of Molfetta, Italy. A decline in the society members of both festivals and followers have made it necessary to reach out to the entire community for help to support their traditions for another year. Many years ago, these festivals only catered to Italians with opera arias and Italian commedians on their bandstands. Left out were the Germans, Irish and other ethnic groups residing in town. The early 70’s brought change. Ethnic groups demanded (rightfully so) to be included in the festivals that their church supported. This brought about Latino night and Rock bands for them and their young to feel included, since other than Italians, they dominated church attendance in these parishes. Other acts followed. So, one day put aside for it’s Italian traditions, the remaining days are for the entire community to hopefully enjoy, and with their attendance and support, have another year to look forward to. Most Italians who have left town will likely return to participate on this one day put aside. For St.Ann’s this year it is the feast day and procession on Monday July 26th, and procession of Madonna Dei Martiri at Sinatra Park this year on Saturday Sept 11th and a rain date of Sept 12th.

[/quote]

• whineanddineinhob says:

Traveled to Italy myself and was in Molfetta last for the feast on Sept 8,1998 and it sure pales in comparison to what we see in town. The ceremony is basically the same. The difference I believe is that in Italy “everyone” is devoted who attends these affairs. Here in town, the new generation seem to “drag” their kids (especially the teens) to the event. The teens would much rather be “down the shore” with their friends. The younger adults who have taken over these affairs are now past their teens and they seem to have gained a sense of tradition in respect for their parents, whose devotion soon becomes theirs. This, I believe, is what keeps it going year after year. I’m just glad it’s remained in town as it’s become a part of our history here too.[quote comment=”194682″]I have no problem with the festival at all. I see your point completely, and actually prefer that it be multi-cultural. God knows we have dealt with enough of the race/culture superiority nonsense. I don’t deal with half of my family or half of my wife’s family because of that disease.However, I do miss the Italian festivals that seemed to give way to what we see today. Going to Italy in the summer and around Christmas gives you a bit of perspective of what the festivals are modeled after. Amazing, those change a bit (the toys they sell are different and half of the vendors are North African), but the festival itself is the same.Nice that Hoboken can evolve, though. Here, we tend to absorb what comes in instead of having everyone that comes in conform to us. I guess the difference is the “roots” here are so shallow, compared to centuries upon centuries in Europe and elsewhere. So in the end, just like you are unlikely to get hit with a bottle in the head, you are likely to get a samosa at the festival.

[/quote]

• escaped68 says:

Another muffie heard from[quote comment=”194690″]Traveled to Italy myself and was in Molfetta last for the feast on Sept 8,1998 and it sure pales in comparison to what we see in town. The ceremony is basically the same. The difference I believe is that in Italy “everyone” is devoted who attends these affairs. Here in town, the new generation seem to “drag” their kids (especially the teens) to the event. The teens would much rather be “down the shore” with their friends. The younger adults who have taken over these affairs are now past their teens and they seem to have gained a sense of tradition in respect for their parents, whose devotion soon becomes theirs. This, I believe, is what keeps it going year after year. I’m just glad it’s remained in town as it’s become a part of our history here too.

[/quote]

• whineanddineinhob says:

Wrong again, you horse’s a$$.[quote comment=”194710″]Another muffie heard from[/quote]

• homeworld says:

Actually, the Stevens family built Hoboken into what it is if you want to be truly historically accurate. [quote comment=”194611″]instead of everyone complaining, why not educate yourself on the 100 year history of the feast and trace its traditions back to italy. Before all the yuppies in their 650k condos were on 7th and Jeff, imiigrants from italy, ireland and the rest of the world migrated around NYC. They’re the ones that built Hoboken into what it is, everyone that complains about the city should just move it, you’re not from her, we dont want you. My grandparents look forward to this feast because its one of the few times each year that they’re able to get everyone together and enjoy the festivities and the music and the traditions of the church. If you ask me, the respect the city shows for the feast is one of the only things its doing right.[/quote]

• hbknbred says:

People shouldnt move to Hoboken expecting to change it. If you need to wake up at 5am, move out, because drunk yuppies outside of bars is part of the makeup of the city. It is what it is. A party town with loud feasts and corrupt politicians. This is never going to change. [quote comment=”194645″]Actually, the Stevens family built Hoboken into what it is if you want to be truly historically accurate. [/quote]

• homeworld says:

The Stevens family did not simply just build some parks and a school. They created the Hoboken Land Improvement Company which laid out the grid system and shaped the city you live in today.

http://www.welcometohoboken.com/history/1907.shtmlquote comment=”194654″]Towns are built on the “communities” of people within them, whether they be italian, irish, hispanic, etc. The are not built by a particular family constructing schools, piers and parks. I’m aware of the Stevens family’s contribution to the city, but without people how would a town progress to where it is today? And to reply to Getz 76, no one is depicting Hoboken as a paradise. I’m simply saying I don’t think it’s right that people complain because they are inconvenienced one week a year, when the feast has been going on before most of us were even born. If you need sleep, move out of Hoboken, because as much as most of you hate to admit it, it’s a party town. I dont know the statistics, but I’d bet my life that atleast 75% of the population is between the ages of 22 and 35. And it doesnt help that Hoboken has the most bars per square mile in the world. People shouldnt move to Hoboken expecting to change it. If you need to wake up at 5am, move out, because drunk yuppies outside of bars is part of the makeup of the city. It is what it is. A party town with loud feasts and corrupt politicians. This is never going to change.

[/quote]

12. Easy-E says:

• hbknbred says:

[quote comment=”194676″]It wasn’t just Italians who built the city, up until the early 1920s the population was mostly German. WW1 and the US government put an end to that.[/quote]

• getz76 says:

Nitpicking with facts is called being right.

Being a troll on a forum that gets upset when you find out what your mamma told you about the City is naive misinformation is called being a child. Grow up.[quote comment=”194679″]you guys are just nitpicking now.. when one aregument falls apart, you move to another. yes Stevens built the grid system, clearly you are a distant relative and have time to research Hoboken. Congratulations. and yes there was a large German population, as i said earlier, Irish, italian, hispanic “ETC”. if there was a German feast around for 100 years I would hope that people wouldnt compain about noise in the streeets. Happy? can you now rebut the original argument for me? Even if Stevens built the city…every single building, and even if the population was all German, is it still right that people who have been living here for 5,10,20 years complain about a feast thats been celebrated for a century?

[/quote]

• hbknbred says:

but those facts have nothing to do with the original point so why do they matter?

If I said “Obama was a horrible president because of his foreign relation policies. Yesterday on CNN, I watched as he arrived late to the G8 summit wearing a blue suit with a black tie” and you responded with, “actually the tie was purple”, is that a logical progression of conversation? That’s the childish comment, not mine. It has absolutely no bearing on the original point made, that he’s a bad president becuase of his foreign relations policies.

Same thing here, German, Irish, Italian, doesnt matter. Respect a tradition that has been going on long before anyone was here. Thats the point. Not who built Hoboken, not what the demographics of the city were at that time.[quote comment=”194681″]Nitpicking with facts is called being right.Being a troll on a forum that gets upset when you find out what your mamma told you about the City is naive misinformation is called being a child. Grow up.[/quote]

• hbknbred says:

and by the way you called me a troll… name calling is probably the most childish thing you could do. maybe you should grow up.[quote comment=”194681″]Nitpicking with facts is called being right.Being a troll on a forum that gets upset when you find out what your mamma told you about the City is naive misinformation is called being a child. Grow up.[/quote]

• drdrool says:

HAAAAAAAA. Getz76 loves calling people a troll, 2nd time this week. DUMB.[quote comment=”194695″]and by the way you called me a troll… name calling is probably the most childish thing you could do. maybe you should grow up.[/quote]

13. Journey says:

The way I see it the feast’s roots and reason to exist are Catholic. Back in the day it might have been mostly Italians filling the pews, but today the largest growing Catholic demographic is Hispanic. I have no problem with the feast embracing all ethnicities within Saint Ann’s congregation.

14. wiskeytango1 says:

Jay and the Americans will be the highlight on thursday..Hopefully it dosen’t rain. :roll:

15. Stpaddygirl says:

• pawzclawz says:

I remember that as well. If I recall correctly,he was already Mayor. Wasn’t he arrested the following morning? or shortly there afterward? [quote comment=”194763″]I remember last year at the Festival Peter Cammarano serving us wine & peaches while campaigning…oh what a difference a year makes ![/quote]

• Stpaddygirl says:

Yes you are correct it was the following morning day after his birthday I believe…[quote comment=”194781″]I remember that as well. If I recall correctly,he was already Mayor. Wasn’t he arrested the following morning? or shortly there afterward? [/quote]

• getz76 says:

Funny, now he is being called Peaches by a large, hairy inmate.[quote comment=”194763″]I remember last year at the Festival Peter Cammarano serving us wine & peaches while campaigning…oh what a difference a year makes ![/quote]

• Dperez says:

Yeah, and Peaches is giving him cream. 😈 [quote comment=”194787″]Funny, now he is being called Peaches by a large, hairy inmate.

[/quote]

• HansBrix says:

Unless said inmate is Bald Headed John: King of the Plookers.

[/quote]

16. helloboken says:

Have fun at the Trash Festival!! 😯

17. Dperez says:

I wonder if the cast from Jersey Shore will make an appearance. LOL 😉

18. xyzpdq says:

Had a great time at the feast. No complaints here. Another great Hoboken tradition.

19. PilotFrog says:

• charmed45 says:

the girls from “jerseylicious” .. that is a show about Jersey Beauticians….saw them too .. lol…they thought they were the “cat’s meow” …. [quote comment=”195106″]Who were the camera crews filming last night? 3 crews that I counted and about 10 ridiculously tanned people wandering around aimlessly.[/quote]