Hoboken Week in Review: 7/4/2010
Happy Independence Day, Hoboken!
So what were some of the most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, July 4, 2010?
- Connected with Hertz on Demand? – The Hertz on Demand (formerly Connect) Corner Cars theoretically are a great idea – but some residents have issues with the parking they’re losing – and the fact that they’re exempt from street cleaning. The biggest question remains – why isn’t the city promoting ALL hourly rental cars? What did Zip Car do so wrong? They’re not paying off city officials?
- Property Tax Cap Sham? – Many NJ Cities are raising property taxes still – what does the future look like for your quarterly Hoboken tax bill? Cross your fingers.
- Diggable Underground – A massive tunnel project is taking place that will double rail commuter capacity by 2020. Hoboken has the honor of being over part of the tunnel.
- The Muni Garage – Stay Tuned – Will the Hoboken Municipal Garage have a new home before August 13th?
Crime and Incidents
- Neighborhood Spies – Two of the Russian Spies arrested last week spent time in Hoboken! Did they snoop through your mailbox?
- Lights Out! – A brief power outage affects part of Downtown Hoboken.
- Two-Alarmer – A fire in the walls between 420 and 422 Adams Street keeps the Fire Department on their toes. Luckily no one was injured.
- Pasta on Wheels! – Hoboken’s latest Food Truck: Lotsa Pasta – will be making rounds soon!
- Exclusive! – W. Kodak Jewelers becomes the only authorized Breitling Watch dealer in Hoboken.
- Steady Tacos – You won’t have to chase tacos in the Taco Truck anymore – they have a permanent home!
- Oh, Ricky! – Ricky’s NYC apparently is coming back to Hoboken for good – along with their Halloween Superstore.
- Wickedly close to opening – The latest waterfront bar – Wicked Wolf Tavern – is now hiring, and hopes to open within the month!
- American Doom? – Word is that controversial clothing store American Apparel may be in financial trouble.
Other Hoboken Updates
- 1450 Washington – Toll Brothers begins work on the latest 12 story condo to grace the Hoboken Skyline.
- Free Kids Movies! – Clearview Cinemas announces eight weeks of free movies for your family!
- Hoboken Farmers Markets! – The Downtown Market started last week – and the Uptown Market (Thursdays) is in full swing already!
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.”– Naguib Mahfouz