Hoboken Week in Review: 6/27/2010
Patriotism should be an everyday event
While walking around Hoboken yesterday, it was nice to hear chants of “USA” at the various bars in town when the United States tied the World Cup game with Ghana. Despite the heartbreaking loss, and exit from the Tournament, we can ride the wave of patriotism until this upcoming Sunday, when the Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular graces the Hudson River once again on July 4th.
But do we need a soccer tournament or exploding shells to love our country? No. Appreciating our country’s history, our constitutional rights, and the God we believe in shouldn’t require spectacles filled with fanfare and promotion. But come the dog days of summer, most people will be back to their grind until the next momentary jump on the bandwagon.
So what were some of the most noteworthy posts for the week ending Sunday, June 27, 2010?
- The Muni Garage – tick tock – Will the Hoboken Municipal Garage have a new home before August 13th?
- Common Sense – HPD offers a list of helpful reminders to keep your home and belongings out of the hands of cat burglars.
- Pedaling places – The city is putting a strong effort in to try and tell you how you should get from place A to B. 200 more bike parking spaces installed throughout town. Hey, I always use a tree or street sign without a problem – so I doubt these parking spots will help increase biking in town.
- So Special – Hoboken411 called it – more “special” city council meetings coming up. See video of what took place this past week.
Crime and Incidents
- Con Man Dexter – Folks that take advantage of our youth get more attention than others – “Dr. Dexter Davis,” who duped Hoboken H.S. kids gets busted in another city with his raffle ticket scam.
- Strangers Capitalize – An unsuspecting Hoboken female invited two men into her home for drinks, only to pass out and find her 52″ flat panel TV missing the next morning. Whoops!
- More Drunks hit cars – DWI and Hoboken parked cars do not mix well.
- Uninvited Guest – A Jeep SUV jumps the curb and crashes into pediatric office uptown.
- Abused – A supposedly abandoned car at Monroe Center is target practice for rock-wielding punks with little time to do anything productive for society.
- You bankruptcy application is due in 5 days – Many say Blockbuster Video’s days are numbered. If they’re doomed, what should go in that place?
- Hoboken Gem – Ultramarinos offers some flavorful and unique food items!
- This is City Life – Another Real Estate Office to the Hoboken directory.
- Artistic Hole in One – Jersey City Artists band together to make a 10 hole mini golf course.
Other Hoboken Updates
- Breaking Ground – Another Hoboken High Rise is set to start construction uptown
- Parking Spot Bailout – A parking garage lowers overnight rates by more than 65% to attract new customers.
- Hoboken Farmers Markets! – The Downtown Market starts THIS Tuesday (June 29th) – and the Uptown Market (Thursdays) is in full swing already!
- Imagine? – If Hoboken was a port for cruise ships?
- Dangerous Speedway – Residents are up in arms over the out of control vehicular traffic near the Hudson Tea Building.
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.”– Will Rogers