Friday Rant: Carlo’s Bakery
Carlo’s bakery + Hollywood = bad business – parking
“Been a resident in Hoboken for 7 years, and going to Carlo’s for my kid’s birthday cakes and holiday pies was always a pleasure. Now obviously as the success of the show we see how Hollywood fame really alters reality.
- Everyone is now either called sugar or honey. Seriously I am not even Italian and it is an insult to anyone’s intelligence.
- My wife called to order a cake 6 months ago; she gave the congratulation and all and asks if it was needed to wait on the hour and half line to pick up the cake. She said it was not.
- If you go in there, people are just waiting for Buddy to come out like the polar bears at The Bronx Zoo thus holding up the line.
- 3 months ago a friend of mine wanted to order a cake, went in and was turned away first time b/c too busy. She came back and was able to get a sit down. She wanted different types of animals put on the cake for her daughter who was having a Zoo motif. Was told that “we (Carlo’s) know what looks good and that won’t look good.” What happened to customer is always right?
- A coworker attempted to walk in an order a cake within the past month; she bypassed the line as had been proper procedure. She got screamed at by the sugars and honeys.
- And finally just this past week, I attempted to order a sheet cake for pick up on Sunday. I called on Wednesday. I was put immediately put on hold. I was then picked up 3 more times rudely asking what I wanted and brushed off by being put back on hold.
Now I don’t begrudge getting and making the most out of someone’s 15 minutes of fame but I am sure I am not the only Hoboken resident who has been thrown to the side in wake of out-of-towners getting their cookies and cupcakes. The prices have skyrocketed and that is fine but that is part to companies making money. Let’s be honest they make a great cake. I just won’t go there again. They lost my business. I am sure they aren’t losing sleep over it but the thing that burned me was the feeling I got from Carlo’s blatant feeling of entitlement.
I have read your parking items about the “600 people” within Hoboken who have the special parking permits (whether it is Fire, Police, or HPU) but now we can get everyone one. I guess Carlo’s is getting that as well. On Newark and First around City Hall, parking is not allowed as far as I remember but on a Saturday all you need to do is rip off a cover of a cake box write your phone number on there because there it was on First between Bloom and Wash without any ticket. Hey if they can get away with it why can’t everyone in Hoboken?”Hoboken NJ