Friday Rant: Carlo’s Bakery

4/30/2010:

Hoboken411 reader Monty is having trouble remaining a Carlo’s Bakery customer – “Cake Boss” or not!

Carlo’s bakery + Hollywood = bad business – parking

“Been a resident in Hoboken for 7 years, and going to Carlo’s for my kid’s birthday cakes and holiday pies was always a pleasure. Now obviously as the success of the show we see how Hollywood fame really alters reality.

• Everyone is now either called sugar or honey. Seriously I am not even Italian and it is an insult to anyone’s intelligence.
  • My wife called to order a cake 6 months ago; she gave the congratulation and all and asks if it was needed to wait on the hour and half line to pick up the cake. She said it was not.
  • If you go in there, people are just waiting for Buddy to come out like the polar bears at The Bronx Zoo thus holding up the line.
  • 3 months ago a friend of mine wanted to order a cake, went in and was turned away first time b/c too busy. She came back and was able to get a sit down. She wanted different types of animals put on the cake for her daughter who was having a Zoo motif. Was told that “we (Carlo’s) know what looks good and that won’t look good.” What happened to customer is always right?
  • A coworker attempted to walk in an order a cake within the past month; she bypassed the line as had been proper procedure. She got screamed at by the sugars and honeys.
  • And finally just this past week, I attempted to order a sheet cake for pick up on Sunday. I called on Wednesday. I was put immediately put on hold. I was then picked up 3 more times rudely asking what I wanted and brushed off by being put back on hold.

Now I don’t begrudge getting and making the most out of someone’s 15 minutes of fame but I am sure I am not the only Hoboken resident who has been thrown to the side in wake of out-of-towners getting their cookies and cupcakes. The prices have skyrocketed and that is fine but that is part to companies making money. Let’s be honest they make a great cake. I just won’t go there again. They lost my business. I am sure they aren’t losing sleep over it but the thing that burned me was the feeling I got from Carlo’s blatant feeling of entitlement.

I have read your parking items about the “600 people” within Hoboken who have the special parking permits (whether it is Fire, Police, or HPU) but now we can get everyone one. I guess Carlo’s is getting that as well. On Newark and First around City Hall, parking is not allowed as far as I remember but on a Saturday all you need to do is rip off a cover of a cake box write your phone number on there because there it was on First between Bloom and Wash without any ticket. Hey if they can get away with it why can’t everyone in Hoboken?”

40 Comments on "Friday Rant: Carlo’s Bakery"

Member
blaueaugen
5 years 9 months ago

YAWN, tell this to someone who actually cares. Just go somewhere else…I heard Shoprite makes great cakes. I get a kick out of all the dumb ass out of town lemmings who wait on that line…what a bunch of schmucks! lol

Member
5 years 9 months ago

There is a bakery in Mitsuwa that has good cakes at reasonable prices too. And if you need to go fancy (and I don’t know why you would need to), Whole Foods has good cakes. The cakes at A&P up in Weehawken aren’t bad either and they have Carvel Ice Cream Cakes. I agree, plenty of places to go get a cake. As for the lemmings who park illegally, TICKET THEM. In response to blaueaugen who said: YAWN, tell this to someone who actually cares. Just go somewhere else…I heard Shoprite makes great cakes. I get a kick out of… Read more »

Member
gov
5 years 9 months ago

used to get all my pies there for holidays and what not. no more–it’s just too batty in there. anyone know another bakery for great pies in town? i love giorgio for other things (many other things) but their pies are not good at all.

Member
yourbrainondrugs
5 years 9 months ago

There was a mob of mostly really hot women outside Mr. L’s Barber Shop yestersday b/c TLC was filming Mr. Wonderful getting a haircut. This has to be a sign that the end of the world is near..

Member
spaz306
5 years 9 months ago

LMAO

In response to yourbrainondrugs who said:

Member
plywood
5 years 9 months ago

For what it’s worth they were filming an episode of Cake Boss there yesterday, replete with a cake of Mr. L’s facility. The end of the world has already been scheduled for December 12, 2012.

In response to yourbrainondrugs who said:

Member
Dr.Chico
5 years 9 months ago

I officially nominate you as complaining of the week! Seeing you have many issues with the place, I have to ask – why not go somewhere else? I have never been impressed with their stuff – Shoprite has good cakes, and Cosco has even better ones.

Member
5 years 9 months ago

Seriously, just go somewhere else. It’s kind of to be expected. Even the classiest joint suffers from so much attention. The hectic pace is getting to the hens behind the counter. Add to it a huge ego because the guy upstairs made a name for himself (funny how that works out, someone else makes the place famous and the nobodies jump on the bandwagon, like they had anything to do with it in the first place – “Yeah honey, you’re special, now put my cannoli in the box”) It’s called “Cake Boss”, not “Counter Princess”. Their cakes look nice, but… Read more »

Member
xxrjxx
5 years 9 months ago

Have to agree with you. Every long once in a while I used to go in there for a napoleon–good, convenient, but nothing I would have gone too too far out of my way for. Listen people–they are just NOT that good to deserve this type of attention. Then combine it with the irritation of the attitudes and lack of attention to their customer base. Frankly, the show is pretty irritating too–all you see are a bunch of guys and gals that do nothing but bitch at each other while throwing together some half-assed cakes. There are much better cake… Read more »

wpDiscuz