The Hoboken school lunch debacle

3/8/2010:

What’s up with the Hoboken School Lunches?

Since I don’t have any kids here in the Hoboken school system, it’s not always easy to be on top of each and every conundrum that takes place on a daily basis.

But apparently – something has gone awry with the school lunch debit card system (what ever happened to just paying cash for lunch? God, it’s been so long…), and now parents are getting bills for over-debiting their child’s account.

One parent (and Hoboken Realtor) writes about it on a blog – and another 411 reader and parent sent this photo in, saying:

“The Hoboken board of Ed sent home “bills” with students on Tuesday of last week which gave a name to make the checks payable to and a contact number, and that’s it. On Wednesday, they began refusing to feed the children who had received these notes, but failed to inform parents of these intentions. It took three days, and 46 phone calls to actually speak to someone, and learn that my sons account had a glitch, and the bill was being voided. What? How about all the other parents who haven’t gotten through yet? Needless to say, they were unable (unwilling?) to tell me what I owed the public school system money for, but quick to say after three days of denying him lunch, please disregard. My son did overhear something from teachers about Wallace owing the state 40 grand, but I don’t know the validity of that.”

Hoboken411 reached out to several Board of Education members, and will update the story (or comments) accordingly with their response.

26 Comments on "The Hoboken school lunch debacle"

Member
hobposer
5 years 5 months ago

Just give all the kids an Amex card and build a Wolfgang Puck in the school and everyone will be happy and healthy

Member
5 years 5 months ago

The anti peanutbutter lobby has managed to got pb banned but they are okay with processed food product, this product is passed off as cheese in school lunches. Bring back twinkies,devil dogs and wash it all down with yoo hoo.It worked well for my generation we’re all normal,I think.

Member
mooshu
5 years 5 months ago

“The anti peanutbutter lobby has managed to got pb banned but they are okay with processed food product, this product is passed off as cheese in school lunches.”

An excellent point!

How come other schools around the country enjoy organic or just plain fresh and natural foods for lunch, and, um, we don’t? Just makes me wonder, because it seems that we can afford assorted garbage, you know?

In response to escaped68 who said:

Member
BarbaraR56
5 years 5 months ago

Last year spoke to a parent of one of the public school children. He said he gave his son cash every week to pay for lunch. He got a notice that he owed an huge amount of money. His son was about 8 yrs. old unless he was having a party or being bullied he quipped there was no reason that he should have gotten this bill. After some investigation, it was found that a former employee allegedly was seen on security camera taking the cash that was supposed to be deposited. Again I say allegedly because this is hearsay. Apparently the employee was fired and is awaiting trial. I think it was in the Jersey Journal one of my neighbors said. Could this be the reason for the confusion?

Member
5 years 5 months ago

Anyone remember, back in the day, getting that couple of bucks for the collection in church. Where’d it ultimately go? A bag of penny candy, or the church collection? Maybe half here, half there?

Ask this 8 year old if he ever stood on the chocolate chip cookie line. That’s where the money may have gone. Really. Ask your kids.

In response to BarbaraR56 who said:

Member
krewedetat
5 years 5 months ago

The kids don’t get the bills. The parents do. And if the company running the food program is inefficient or corrupt, blaming the parents is a convenient thing to do.

Member
Hoboken_South
5 years 5 months ago

I have no remorse for ¾ of these kids. Give me a break. I teach in the district and 99% of these kids have cell phones, I Pods, side-kicks, Air Jordan’s, and fitted hats that cost $35.00 a pop. Yeah.
You have no money to pay your bill for school lunch but you have fitted hats. Give me a break. There are a lot of get over parents.
Call it what it is. People trying to beat the system. Take the cheese sandwich and blast your I Pod son!

Member
mooshu
5 years 5 months ago

I’m going to overlook the number you’ve calculated and proposed here and simply agree with the remainder of your post. 100% right!

I don’t agree with parents being charged a second time for school lunch, though.

In response to Hoboken_South who said:

Member
hobposer
5 years 5 months ago

Just curious here but you are a teacher and if you have no remorse for 3/4 of the kids which equates to 75% and you mention 99% of the kids have phones, electronic devices and fitted hats then shouldn’t you have 99/100 worth of no remorse?

In response to Hoboken_South who said:

Member
Hoboken_South
5 years 5 months ago

That was witty. Good Job.

In response to midtownauthentic who said: