St. Patty’s Decks and Balconies

3/5/2010:

Use the golden rule called “common sense”

Several Hoboken411 readers were wondering what the rule is concerning outdoor (private) balconies in Hoboken during the St. Patrick’s Parade.

Here’s some general tips:

  • Never use fire escapes. No matter what. Fire escapes are to be used only for emergency purposes. Anyone caught hanging out on one will be fined accordingly.
  • Don’t over-crowd your balcony – private or not. If at any point a police inspector deems your property to be overcrowded or unsafe, you will be issued a summons and your party shut down. Err on the side of caution and limit the density of revelers on your balcony or deck.
  • Loud, obnoxious, rowdy. Even if your balcony isn’t over-crowded, you will get a visit from the Hoboken Police and receive either Disorderly Persons or Unruly House summonses if your party is acting out of control. Best bet is to avoid a police visit altogether – because as they advertised, once HPD responds, you’re receiving a costly ticket.

Like the sub-heading says – use common sense. While it’s hard to exercise good judgment when said judgment is impaired by alcohol – perhaps just like a designated driver – each house party should nominate a “designated house monitor” to ensure that the party is fun, safe and without incident.

Enjoy your parties everyone!

Leave a Reply

20 Comments on "St. Patty’s Decks and Balconies"

bart7373
Member
bart7373

I think they (police, politicians et all)are looking to make things better by setting some examples this year. Everyone should use common sense. This is not the time to “push the envelope”. My hope is that if things work out the same rules apply from here on in.

homeworld
Member

Behind your gate is a summons unless you’re behind the gate at a bar. Because, you know, that makes a difference.

FMTVENG
Member

i wouldn’t walk past the threshold of my front door w/ an open container tomorrow. That being said, you do have a right to privacy in your own home. Just because the police come and knock, ring bell, etc. that doesn’t mean you have to let them in. You are well within your rights to just ignore them (they can’t break the doors down or anything unless somebody is in immediate danger (yelling fire, rape, etc). More people need to know their rights and stand up for them.

mikey578041
Member
mikey578041

I know this is really horrible to think but I have a feeling something very bad is going to happen this year. The combination of extreme cold, blizzards, and long the winter with the forecast of a reasonably mild sunny day on Saturday is going to make people more crazy. I hope that we’re not all over the news come sunday but everywhere in town I’ve been this week it’s all people are talking about. I think it’s going to be VERY bad this year even with the warnings, I mean they basically had the same warnings last year and look at how nuts it was.

mooshu
Member
mooshu

We haven’t agreed on anything, but this time I think we might…

I’ve been feeling uneasy the past couple of days regarding tomorrow. I didn’t feel this way about any of the previous parades.

Of course, I hope that we’re proven wrong. Maybe just worry, right?

In response to mikey578041 who said:
I know this is really horrible to think but I have a feeling something very bad is going to happen this year. The combination of extreme cold, blizzards, and long the winter with the forecast of a reasonably mild sunny day on Saturday is going to make people more crazy. I hope that we’re not all over the news come sunday but everywhere in town I’ve been this week it’s all people are talking about. I think it’s going to be VERY bad this year even with the warnings, I mean they basically had the same warnings last year and look at how nuts it was.

emarche
Member

Like what?

Everything will be fine.

In response to mikey578041 who said:
I know this is really horrible to think but I have a feeling something very bad is going to happen this year. The combination of extreme cold, blizzards, and long the winter with the forecast of a reasonably mild sunny day on Saturday is going to make people more crazy. I hope that we’re not all over the news come sunday but everywhere in town I’ve been this week it’s all people are talking about. I think it’s going to be VERY bad this year even with the warnings, I mean they basically had the same warnings last year and look at how nuts it was.

oh well okay
Member
oh well okay

so any thoughts on the legality of drinking a beer inside your gate in front of your house? less than 5 people sitting quietly at a table – not some obnoxious party. i am talking about from a pure open container perspective

In response to emarche who said:
Like what?

Everything will be fine.

ahalpern
Member
ahalpern

In front of house it is a summons (e.g on sidewalk)
On steps it is a summons
On roof is not a summons but plain stupid
Behind the gate is not a summons
Driveway if you have 1 is not a summons

In response to hoboken411 who said:
I wouldn’t risk it. If it’s on the “sidewalk” regardless if behind a gate – I believe that constitutes public drinking. I wouldn’t take any chances. I think even front steps are off-limits.

I can never remember this or get it straight… anyone?

TrickyDick
Member
TrickyDick

I would think that any spot outside of your home “line”, even if it is inside a gate (forget driveway) puts you at risk. Don’t take the chance. The police are not out to “get us”, it is just that with the current tenor of the City they really can not take the chance on cutting anyone any slack.

In response to ahalpern who said:
In front of house it is a summons (e.g on sidewalk)
On steps it is a summons
On roof is not a summons but plain stupid
Behind the gate is not a summons
Driveway if you have 1 is not a summons

verf1
Member
verf1

Be careful… The police have carte blanche to ticket everyone and anyone they feel like. Even if you are truly innocent of any wrongdoing, you will still have to fight it in court. I missed 3 days of work last year fighting a ticket that I got on St. Pat’s. (eventually dismissed…)

In response to TrickyDick who said:
I would think that any spot outside of your home “line”, even if it is inside a gate (forget driveway) puts you at risk. Don’t take the chance. The police are not out to “get us”, it is just that with the current tenor of the City they really can not take the chance on cutting anyone any slack.

emarche
Member

Sure, I think it’s a wonderful idea. Nothing like enjoying a beer in front of your house.

If it’s less than 5 people sitting quietly – literally, sitting there being calm, cool and collected – I strongly suspect the HPD will give you a pass despite all of the hype and threats.

In response to oh well okay who said:
so any thoughts on the legality of drinking a beer inside your gate in front of your house? less than 5 people sitting quietly at a table – not some obnoxious party. i am talking about from a pure open container perspective

TrickyDick
Member
TrickyDick

As much as the police respect your right to enjoy your home the current situation with some of the bloggers on this site are going to make it very difficult for them to just igore your party. Some person across the street with their cell phone camera will surely condemn that officer for ignoring “violators”. So much for “community”. I wish we could all be transported back to the time when Hobokenites respected each other.

In response to emarche who said:
Sure, I think it’s a wonderful idea. Nothing like enjoying a beer in front of your house.

If it’s less than 5 people sitting quietly – literally, sitting there being calm, cool and collected – I strongly suspect the HPD will give you a pass despite all of the hype and threats.

rileydog
Member
rileydog

After receiving almost $ 2,000.00 in damage to my house last year from drunk dumb asses. I called the police several times last year and NOTHING was done. This whole thing is stupid. This year, I am taking matters into my own hands. If I catch ANYONE on my property , they are going to be VERY sorry ! TRUST !!!!! Bring it on you a holes !

In response to emarche who said:
Like what?

Everything will be fine.

wpDiscuz