2010 Hoboken Parking Permit Renewals

2/22/2010:

2010 Renewal extended until March 15th

Many car-owning Hoboken residents were expecting their 2010 parking permit renewal notices in the mail back in January (with February 26th being the deadline for renewal.)

However, the city is having a “delay” for some odd reason – and claims “renewal notices has been delayed until February 15, 2010. Validity of 2009 Resident parking permits are therefore extended until March 15, 2010.” I haven’t received mine yet, and several other 411 readers said the same. We’ll see – maybe this week.

One thing made me laugh from the city website – was their FAQ page on parking permits.

There’s a section that asks “Why can’t I find parking?” and the city goes on to say the obvious. But the last sentence cracks me up: “There is simply not enough curb space to provide parking for everyone who chooses to own a car in Hoboken. Your Resident parking permit allows you to park in protected Resident permit parking areas, but does not guarantee you a spot. The cost for your permit is subsidized 90% by the city to keep residential parking costs low; however, this results in many more cars parking on-street and competing for limited space. If you do not need to commute every day with your car, you may find it easier to consider alternative transportation options and eliminating the high cost of car ownership, not to mention the frustration of looking for parking. HPU is working continuously to improve these alternative options so that the choice to go car-free gets easier each day.”

Exactly how is the Hoboken Parking Utility making the “choice” to go car-free easier every day? Is it easier to go car free today, than it was on Friday? Will it be easier to go car-free tomorrow as well? And the day after that?

Perhaps instead of a mile square municipality ineffectively trying to influence sweeping societal change, they can just create more affordable parking spaces (long-term, etc.?) I bet the last thing the city wants is less – or even no cars. Where would they get the millions of dollars in annual revenue? Ha!

Leave a Reply

44 Comments on "2010 Hoboken Parking Permit Renewals"

diamondjoe
Member
diamondjoe

Anybody have any word when the new permits will finally be mailed out? The city website still says February 15, with the old ones good til March 15. I haven’t received a renewal yet and the date is looming…anybody else received one?

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/transportation-parking/permits/

diamondjoe
Member
diamondjoe

Ok, so my car was booted today for not having a permit. After a series of phone calls, I got this nugget of info from the good folks at the Parking Utility. They had a computer crash sometime late summer and lost data from any renewals or applications submitted at that point. I fit that category (an August renewal, just moved back to Hobo after a year long misadventure in Union City). If anybody else falls in that timeframe, you might want to give the parking utility people a call.

In response to diamondjoe who said:
Anybody have any word when the new permits will finally be mailed out? The city website still says February 15, with the old ones good til March 15. I haven’t received a renewal yet and the date is looming…anybody else received one?

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/transportation-parking/permits/

Stpaddygirl
Member

I have a fear of Tsunami’s…nice to “see you too Mooshu”

mooshu
Member
mooshu

What about Figi?

Nice to see you, again, Stpaddy!

Stpaddygirl
Member

Its home now………anyway its not like I could sell even if I wanted to at this point!

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

If you could move, assuming you could sell, where would you go next?

In response to Stpaddygirl who said:
Its home now………anyway its not like I could sell even if I wanted to at this point!

Stpaddygirl
Member

Bellagio, Italy…

Realisticly if I were to remain in NJ it would be Morristown. Commutable to the city, lots of businesses within walking distance, have alot of friends there and of course they have a St. Patricks Day parade too !

In response to DEADMAU5 who said:
If you could move, assuming you could sell, where would you go next?

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

A Jersey girl, ugh

In response to Stpaddygirl who said:
Bellagio, Italy…

Realisticly if I were to remain in NJ it would be Morristown. Commutable to the city, lots of businesses within walking distance, have alot of friends there and of course they have a St. Patricks Day parade too !

Stpaddygirl
Member

I’m actually from PA moved to NJ for work…

In response to DEADMAU5 who said:
A Jersey girl, ugh

Stpaddygirl
Member

I had to show registration and dl every year for the past 9 years I have lived in Hoboken at least this year I only have to drop $5. Trust me if you don’t pay by 3/15 you will have a boot on 3/16 it happened to me 3 years ago…

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

9 years in Hoboken and you are still here? Ouch

In response to Stpaddygirl who said:
I had to show registration and dl every year for the past 9 years I have lived in Hoboken at least this year I only have to drop $5. Trust me if you don’t pay by 3/15 you will have a boot on 3/16 it happened to me 3 years ago…

wpDiscuz