City Council Meeting 2/3/2010

2/3/2010 Update:

See original preview after the jump…

Live Video and Chat tonight at 7pm


Original Preview and Council Documents after the jump…

(2/3/2010 Hoboken City Council Meeting, original preview…)

2/3/2010:

Hoboken City Council Preview

The City of Hoboken is still operating without an adopted budget with just 4 months and 25 days left until the end of the Fiscal Year. There’s no tax relief in sight, and the City Council will vote tonight on more Temporary Emergency Appropriations. If Dave Roberts were still the Mayor this would be big news leading to hours of angry debate and another “Angry Hoboken Taxpayers” rally. With a solid majority on the City Council (and the Revolt board) backing up Dawn Zimmer there won’t be a single peep about it.

Hoboken City Council Meeting February 3 2010

Here’s a look at what else is on the agenda…

Appointments, Appointments, Appointments

Zimmer and her council majority continue to pay back campaign contributors and supporters with positions in government. The Zoning Board is once again on the agenda following the resignation of Alex Corrado. Watch for either Phil Cohen or Mike Evers to be elevated to full status on the board. Phil hosted more meet-and-greets than Mike, so he’ll probably get the nod, making way for another Zimmer supporter to be appointed alternate. The Zimmer majority has been making applicants jump through hoops to be considered for board positions, only to turn around and appoint friends to the board (just like every other Mayor and Council before them.)

Charlie Mancini supported Zimmer and her team during the election, but criticized the way they’ve been choosing appointments:

You can view the agenda and resolution pack below:

Come back tonight at 7pm for live video and chat! (AFTER THE JUMP)

Leave a Reply

21 Comments on "City Council Meeting 2/3/2010"

Margaret
Member

I did bring up Pier C…and it is being held up by a fence problem ….I did bring up the new location of the Garage, and there was no answer forthcoming for that either.

M.

Margaret
Member

At seven it was full, at nine it emptied out. The chosen few directors were given halos….and the question of the wording of the LAW that makes Hoboken people who live here work here was tabled and taken off the agenda for discussion. Next time it will be on the table I HOPE…PRIVATE DISCUSSION ensued after that and I was NOT invited…See you next time…and them….

blahblahblah
Member
blahblahblah

you heard this here first. Zimmer will appoint lenz to BA when tripodi leaves and cuts deal with a 4th warder that can win the election and offer more jobs like kurta…Wait till this happens. As for the Hoboken Revolters….Mr. Siegel I beleive offered the Quinnipiac poll based on what voters like, dislike, union, anti union, etc….he gave nice and convincing speech. But like any other revolter you need to verify what they said…his numbers are correct, yet he left out one MAJOR NUMBER…from january 13-18 Quinnipiac surveyed a WHOPPING 1,175 new jersey voters…..boy, scott, you missed a million other voters…of course numbers will seem high….DUH….This is why lenz inviting people up to the mic and tell him how to cut spending was HILARIOUS….our elected officials obviously dont know how so they let folks come to meetings and offer ideas which otherwise wouldnt be verified by a prudent person….way to go lenz…….scott delea has the only credibility in that organization….I am also convinced nomatter what this admin does, zimmer and the like, matt will defend them no matter what….

upyurs
Member
upyurs

As I said before Mr Mello who I beleive wants to do the coreect thing. Will be on the outside as Mr lenz and Ms Marsh will under cut Ms Zimmer to get what they want. Mr. Lenz as BA we will be in big trouble.

In response to blahblahblah who said:
you heard this here first. Zimmer will appoint lenz to BA when tripodi leaves and cuts deal with a 4th warder that can win the election and offer more jobs like kurta…Wait till this happens. As for the Hoboken Revolters….Mr. Siegel I beleive offered the Quinnipiac poll based on what voters like, dislike, union, anti union, etc….he gave nice and convincing speech. But like any other revolter you need to verify what they said…his numbers are correct, yet he left out one MAJOR NUMBER…from january 13-18 Quinnipiac surveyed a WHOPPING 1,175 new jersey voters…..boy, scott, you missed a million other voters…of course numbers will seem high….DUH….This is why lenz inviting people up to the mic and tell him how to cut spending was HILARIOUS….our elected officials obviously dont know how so they let folks come to meetings and offer ideas which otherwise wouldnt be verified by a prudent person….way to go lenz…….scott delea has the only credibility in that organization….I am also convinced nomatter what this admin does, zimmer and the like, matt will defend them no matter what….

blahblahblah
Member
blahblahblah

Mr. Mello needs to watch what he says and asks as far as the contracts go with the unions,. That guy belongs to the biggest union of all the UFT of NYC. He just was handed a 4% raise. His contract is lucrative, just go online and look at it yourself. Depending on which health care plan he choose, he may not be paying anything for his health care either. It has been stated that serious charges can be placed on a union member who bashes or otherwise criticizes another union. Also talk about double dipping….geez.

In response to upyurs who said:
As I said before Mr Mello who I beleive wants to do the coreect thing. Will be on the outside as Mr lenz and Ms Marsh will under cut Ms Zimmer to get what they want. Mr. Lenz as BA we will be in big trouble.

elvisroberts
Member

the “park tax” goes to Hudson County, which plans to give out about $6M later this year across all the munis in the county. Hoboken seems to get its share, and Brandy Forbes was tlkaing about some of those funds for 1600 Park last night (imagine that – a Director of one of the Mayor’s departments who shows up and actually says something/ THAT was a big change (!). Pier C is a Port Authority problem. Word in water world is that contractor has spent all the money, AND still waiting to get paid for work from long ago…. hmmm?!?

upyurs
Member
upyurs

I wasn’t referring to the County park tax but rather the city park tax that Ms. Zimmer and Mr Cunningham pushed thru. We pay 2 cents times our assessed value. Why not purchase the chemical site with interest rates low???? Brandy dosen’t have a clue what is going on in this city with all the issue relating to development. Not hat Bado was any better.
Pier C was also paid for by the city and it sounds like you know something the rest of us don’t. Are you saying that we have no money to pay the contractors? How do you know that? Are you an insider?

In response to elvisroberts who said:
the “park tax” goes to Hudson County, which plans to give out about $6M later this year across all the munis in the county. Hoboken seems to get its share, and Brandy Forbes was tlkaing about some of those funds for 1600 Park last night (imagine that – a Director of one of the Mayor’s departments who shows up and actually says something/ THAT was a big change (!). Pier C is a Port Authority problem. Word in water world is that contractor has spent all the money, AND still waiting to get paid for work from long ago…. hmmm?!?

truth1
Member
truth1

We should be looking for the time that the Mayor and governing body are the ones making the decisions for the citizens of Hoboken. They were elected for that purpose. Then we can all hold them responsible for thier actions. The current holdover item such as the audit of the police dept. should be finalized and released to the city. The on-going saga administrative decision in the police dept. SWAT fiasco hearing should be also brought to closure.

upyurs
Member
upyurs

Brought to Closure You missed a bunch
The piers since September, spring is coming kids want to play.
Parks like 1600 Park Ave.
The park tax, why aren’t we buying land, rates are low.
The budget.
The municipal garage and where the temporary one should go
The 5 afforable units on 8th and Jackson for city employees
Revalue fo property

In staed of worrying about appointing your friends, Ms Zimmer, to boards let’s get some of these done.

In response to truth1 who said:
We should be looking for the time that the Mayor and governing body are the ones making the decisions for the citizens of Hoboken. They were elected for that purpose. Then we can all hold them responsible for thier actions. The current holdover item such as the audit of the police dept. should be finalized and released to the city. The on-going saga administrative decision in the police dept. SWAT fiasco hearing should be also brought to closure.

truth1
Member
truth1

Yes, the pier and 1600 Park Ave. issues were discussed at last nights council meeting by Dir. Pope and Dir.Forbes. Require $10 mil. for the piers and the city is looking for the funding…suggest you review the meeting. Take care….

In response to upyurs who said:
Brought to Closure You missed a bunch
The piers since September, spring is coming kids want to play.
Parks like 1600 Park Ave.
The park tax, why aren’t we buying land, rates are low.
The budget.
The municipal garage and where the temporary one should go
The 5 afforable units on 8th and Jackson for city employees
Revalue fo property

In staed of worrying about appointing your friends, Ms Zimmer, to boards let’s get some of these done.

upyurs
Member
upyurs

Once again it is just talk. By the way I forgot Pier C????
This city is in such a mess and with the Director’s she has and the one’s coming in don’t have a clue. As for Ms Zimmer, she is clearly over her head in making decisions that we need going forward. We need actions NOW, no different then then where this country and state are at.

In response to truth1 who said:
Yes, the pier and 1600 Park Ave. issues were discussed at last nights council meeting by Dir. Pope and Dir.Forbes. Require $10 mil. for the piers and the city is looking for the funding…suggest you review the meeting. Take care….

jman01
Member
jman01

Kaching!
Up up up the budget goes….where it stops, nobody knows……

In response to truth1 who said:
Yes, the pier and 1600 Park Ave. issues were discussed at last nights council meeting by Dir. Pope and Dir.Forbes. Require $10 mil. for the piers and the city is looking for the funding…suggest you review the meeting. Take care….

wpDiscuz