Hobokenpix: Wesley J. Howe Building

1/21/2010:

[Continuing the ORIGINAL Hoboken411 “Photo of the Day” series…]

Hoboken Photo of the Day – 1/21/2010

Here’s a quick photo of the Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management “tower” over at Stevens Institute of Technology. Was a cloudy day, and happened to enjoy the way the Hoboken building fit into the skyline in lower Manhattan.

Stevens Institute Hoboken NJ Babbio Center

PS – if you have images collecting dust on your camera or hard drive – send them in for eventual inclusion on Hoboken411! Please state how you’d like to be credited in your email, and a description – if desired!!

Leave a Reply

10 Comments on "Hobokenpix: Wesley J. Howe Building"

9
Member

That building is almost as ugly as Boston’s City Hall.

anthonymobile
Member
anthonymobile

sad as it is, this building represented Stevens’ attempt to get with the future during the late 60s. intended to be more or less a replica of Mies Van Der Rohes epic Seagrams building on Park AVe in Manhattan… it fell kind of short.

one day, i know Stevens is going to come to its senses, wreck this building and let an international competition bring in some great architects to do the unique site justice. if i were running Stevens, i’d use it as an excuse to launch an architecture school upon the most inspiring urban vista in North America

xyzpdq
Member
xyzpdq

In the meantime Stevens could do Hoboken a service by hiring an exterior cleaning crew to scrub decades of grime off the building. The granite would look a lot better without the shmootz!

In response to anthonymobile who said:
sad as it is, this building represented Stevens’ attempt to get with the future during the late 60s. intended to be more or less a replica of Mies Van Der Rohes epic Seagrams building on Park AVe in Manhattan… it fell kind of short.

one day, i know Stevens is going to come to its senses, wreck this building and let an international competition bring in some great architects to do the unique site justice. if i were running Stevens, i’d use it as an excuse to launch an architecture school upon the most inspiring urban vista in North America

xyzpdq
Member
xyzpdq

Ever see a picture of Stevens Castle? It was destroyed to make way for this eyesore. One of the most historic buildings in Hoboken leveled so they could build this butt-ugly tower. Tragic.

greentea
Member
greentea

Kind of like how the gorgeous former Penn Station was levelled and replaced by that pinnacle of architectural beauty: Madison Square Garden and the dank soulless hovel beneath it that passes itself off as a train station.

In response to xyzpdq who said:
Ever see a picture of Stevens Castle? It was destroyed to make way for this eyesore. One of the most historic buildings in Hoboken leveled so they could build this butt-ugly tower. Tragic.

HobokenHusky
Member
HobokenHusky

The ugliest building EVER. Look at its west facing side, up at the corrugated tin facade on the top, a giant water stain that looks like a skid mark. The North side, has a giant granite slab with no aesthetic qualities. You would think a building in that location would take advantage of the view that is presented. Rip it down and start over. Its a blight in the Hoboken sky

homeworld
Member

comment image

Here’s a cool shot of it with the SS Stevens in the foreground.

In response to HobokenHusky who said:
The ugliest building EVER. Look at its west facing side, up at the corrugated tin facade on the top, a giant water stain that looks like a skid mark. The North side, has a giant granite slab with no aesthetic qualities. You would think a building in that location would take advantage of the view that is presented. Rip it down and start over. Its a blight in the Hoboken sky

wpDiscuz