Remember Foodmart International?
Do you miss the Foodmart International?
Foodmart International was a love/hate type of place. Many residents loved it – because they had a plethora of hard to find products, in one massive warehouse location. Practically every ethnicity was covered A-Z. Others didn’t quite get it, because of the relative lack of “commercial” products from billion dollar corporations, and the fact the it was kind of filthy in places. Heck, they haven’t even updated their website in almost 10 years – it shows locations that are now not in existence.
They lost their lease to a big developer in 2002, moved out in 2003, and Target “cut the ribbon” in 2004.
Besides the Jersey City location, I know they had a location in North Bergen (now a Lowe’s I believe) – and Linden (not sure if that’s still there) – and one in Spring Valley, NY.
Well, I reminisced about the old place, and kind of missed it. So I took a trip up to Spring Valley the other day to see if it’s still there – and lo behold it was! See 63 image photo walk-through below:
Did it bring back any good memories, 411?
Well – here are my sentiments, packaged up in bullet point format:
- An interesting place for sure. A little bit of a let down. The store itself had a semi-dumpy feel in places, but well stocked and maintained in others. Wasn’t “polished” by any means. I guess my memories had safely blocked out the bad?
- Leaving Hoboken and going to a place like Spring Valley, really makes you appreciate certain aspects of the Mile Square a little more. You might possibly say that the residents of Hoboken are lucky to live in such an almost “sheltered” town.
- The number of people paying with food stamps was astounding. Very interesting the way NY State handles those coupons. And also very interesting to see how these young mothers “parented” their children. I can see what some people mean when they say “Welfare Babies.”
- I was so busy taking photos, that I really didn’t look around with great attention – and bought this ridiculous array of junky items that I don’t typically see around here. However, that wall of Mazola Corn oil was amazing!
- Would I go there on purpose again? Doubtful. If I want to take another scenic drive, maybe. Would I recommend you do it? Sure – take a drive up there once!
Foodmart International is located at 159 Route 59 in Spring Valley, NY.
Where do you go for your ethnic food requirements?