What Next? (222 Washington)

1/4/2010:

This week’s featured series on Hoboken411 is “What Next for Hoboken?” and will highlight some empty commercial spaces in town, and what might be wanted in that particular location – as well as what will certainly fail. You, the Hoboken consumer knows best!

Let’s hope for no more empty storefronts in the Mile Square by the end of 2010!

Starting off the week:

Hoboken Vacant Store old WaMu and Rickys Halloween Superstore 222 Washington Street

222 Washington – A nice big space for…?

Many people miss the old Quik Check at 222 Washington Street. Cheap beverages, no-fee ATM (back in the day, that was good!), and even greasy grub. After they failed (does anyone remember why? Greedy landlords?), Washington Mutual came in with their fat corporate rent wallet and occupied the space. After they suffered their economic disaster, JP Morgan Chase saved the day – bought them up, then quickly shut this location down.

Then this past fall – Ricky’s Halloween set up a temporary pop-up shop for a few months and left town as fast as they arrived.

What would be a good fit for this rather large Washington Street space?

PS – in case you need a Quik Check fix (they have all sorts of new greasy sandwiches, and even hamburgers now!) – head over to 5100 Kennedy Boulevard in Union City. A 10 minute drive!

Leave a Reply

31 Comments on "What Next? (222 Washington)"

mooshu
Member
mooshu

If you feel like Vegetarian, there’s a GobO just steps away from the 9th street PATH station.

redshirt
Member
redshirt

That’s really its name? Thanks, I’ll check it out.

In response to mooshu who said:
If you feel like Vegetarian, there’s a GobO just steps away from the 9th street PATH station.

ralyn
Member
ralyn

I think a Benihana’s should go there. No hibachi places in Hoboken yet.

redshirt
Member
redshirt

That would get my vote! Or at least a place like Gobi – does anyone remember it? Loved that place, as something different and that you could choose exactly what you wanted in your dishes.

In response to ralyn who said:
I think a Benihana’s should go there. No hibachi places in Hoboken yet.

mooshu
Member
mooshu

I remember Gobi! I liked that place.

In response to redshirt who said:
That would get my vote! Or at least a place like Gobi – does anyone remember it? Loved that place, as something different and that you could choose exactly what you wanted in your dishes.

bigredboy
Member
bigredboy

i work in hoboken.does paying $6000 in property taxes,then have police summons you to death,and come to your job to harrass you make any sense?im moving to michigan where theres a good job waiting.id rather have someone break into my home,than have my rights violated.i can defend my home from a criminal.police can come to my job,harrass me,arrest me,who knows what else?for traffic violation?its all good though,its easier to pick on the working man,the weak,who isnt a threat and ruin his license and possibly get him fired by showing up at his job.thats how they earn stripes.meanwhile real criminals and illegal aliens run around jersey city with guns breaking into hispanic,and black peoples homes.its easier to pick on me,for driving a big company vehicle,and getting stuck in the snow/ice. what if an officer decides to summons you for getting stuck in the snow next time?think you can beat it?.your word against his.camden n.j. is the no.1 in crime,worst than compton,l.a.guess those p.o are real busy with tickets.

nacholibre
Member
nacholibre

Ok, as an impartial observer, it’s time to let go. It’s sounding like tinfoil hat time.

In response to bigredboy who said:
i work in hoboken.does paying $6000 in property taxes,then have police summons you to death,and come to your job to harrass you make any sense?im moving to michigan where theres a good job waiting.id rather have someone break into my home,than have my rights violated.i can defend my home from a criminal.police can come to my job,harrass me,arrest me,who knows what else?for traffic violation?its all good though,its easier to pick on the working man,the weak,who isnt a threat and ruin his license and possibly get him fired by showing up at his job.thats how they earn stripes.meanwhile real criminals and illegal aliens run around jersey city with guns breaking into hispanic,and black peoples homes.its easier to pick on me,for driving a big company vehicle,and getting stuck in the snow/ice. what if an officer decides to summons you for getting stuck in the snow next time?think you can beat it?.your word against his.camden n.j. is the no.1 in crime,worst than compton,l.a.guess those p.o are real busy with tickets.

BarbaraR56
Member
BarbaraR56

Unless the rent goes down on Washington Street, there will be more empty stores unfortunately. With property taxes being what they are, owners pass the increases onto tenants and with the flagging economy businesses can’t seem to pay the rent. Being a BNR, I have never seen so many vacant properties on Washington Street in my life. Let’s hope it is not another Real Estate office, Starbucks, take-out place.

plywood
Member
plywood

Staples

wpDiscuz