Rise in vehicular crime in Hoboken?

1/2/2010:

Seems like the GPS thefts from cars is not relenting in Hoboken – with reports coming in from the streets AND parking garages of the Mile Square…

GPS Thefts Hoboken NJ

Bloomfield St. Parking Garage GPS theft string

Hoboken411 reader Jason said:
“I thought I would let you know that there have been a string of car break-ins in the past week in the Garage at Observer and Bloomfield. My car has been broken into twice in the past week. Once last week and again today. Both times I had a GPS stolen, the first time off my dash and the second time out of my glove box along with a few small things out of my center console. I got my car back last night and it was broken into again that night.

After speaking with the lot supervisor apparently 6 cars were broken into over the past week in the same garage. I was at the police department today filing a report and a guy was there filing as well. His car was broken into last night too on Garden between Observer and Newark. He had a GPS stolen along with a bottle of wine. It was only Barefoot so everybody can hold back their gasp! Hopefully Hoboken’s finest get this guy, there are security cameras in my lot and I was told a detective would review the footage. Anyway I thought I would let your readers know to be extra careful in that area and make sure your GPS is out of sight!!”

Hoboken all you can steal GPS Bloomfield and Observer HWY

Xmas Day break in

411 reader Patrick said:
“I know you asked about more recent car break-ins, but my car was parked on Garden Street between 2nd and 3rd on the evening of 12/25. Someone smashed the passenger-side window and stole my GPS. I had stupidly left the GPS bracket up but hide the GPS in my consule. $300 to replace the window and the GPS was around $225.”

411 Advice: Remove all evidence of worthwhile items from your car! (Including brackets, etc.)!

Leave a Reply

21 Comments on "Rise in vehicular crime in Hoboken?"

BigMan
Member
BigMan

This just seems like the easiest police sting operation in the world.

Leave a GPS in plain sight, maybe even in an unlocked car, then hide some other security camera somewhere and start recording video. The camera could be put in another car, or a parking garage ceiling… anywhere with a line of sight.

Seems like in a day or two you’d have an arrest. Just do that a few times, and the thieves would quickly begin to prefer other towns for GPS break-ins.

How about a little proactive, creative police work from the Hoboken PD. Is the two-officers-per-supervisor organizational structure there just too light on management for them to implement something like this?

Bullbreed333
Member
Bullbreed333

Seriously, homeworld is right… in a manner of speaking…
It is insane to leave your GPS in your car, or your PDA, Ipod, Zune, whatever handheld electronic you can think of. Essentially you are sending out invitations to break in to your car by doing that. Maybe not deserving to be ripped-off, but begging to be ripped off is more accurate.

plywood
Member
plywood

The terms ‘naive’ or ‘wishful thinking’ or ‘unearned trust’ might apply. The world will invariably dish up an uninterrupted supply of jerks who don’t understand the golden rule, and as such it might be a good idea to not supply them with opportunities if we can avoid it, or we need learn to live with the consequences. I know it sounds patronizing, but no one “deserves” to be violated in my opinion, and sometimes the learning curve on “crimes of opportunity” is exasperating and expensive. If one doesn’t give a shit about people they’ve never met, and feel their life is a trial and they see the equivalent of a $100 bill on the other side of a very breakable pane of glass, and no one is around……….

In response to Bullbreed333 who said:
Seriously, homeworld is right… in a manner of speaking…
It is insane to leave your GPS in your car, or your PDA, Ipod, Zune, whatever handheld electronic you can think of. Essentially you are sending out invitations to break in to your car by doing that. Maybe not deserving to be ripped-off, but begging to be ripped off is more accurate.

davidcdavid64
Member
davidcdavid64

I would like to see instead of that useless police blotter in the reporter a detailed crime statistics report generated every week that details types of crimes, amounts, weekely, monthly, yearly, down to specific areas. This way people on their own could figure out if our police are doing a good job, where the problem areas are, and they types of crimes that are a problem.

The police blotter format just works to obscure any real analysis of the crime situation in hoboken. In truth in the 15 years I have been here I can not recall the release of any data in a useful format at all.

beerzgood
Member
beerzgood

Good luck with that. The week my car was stolen, the lead story in the blotter war a lewd couple in Church Square Park. The blotter usually only contains solved crimes.

In response to davidcdavid64 who said:
I would like to see instead of that useless police blotter in the reporter a detailed crime statistics report generated every week that details types of crimes, amounts, weekely, monthly, yearly, down to specific areas. This way people on their own could figure out if our police are doing a good job, where the problem areas are, and they types of crimes that are a problem.

The police blotter format just works to obscure any real analysis of the crime situation in hoboken. In truth in the 15 years I have been here I can not recall the release of any data in a useful format at all.

DEADMAU5
Member
DEADMAU5

it will be on CL.ORG for sale

homeworld
Member

According to the general consensus on this site, the people who owned those cars deserved the break ins.

plywood
Member
plywood

That’s an interesting sentence. Where are you going with that? If you buy a lottery ticket that doesn’t end up being a winner, do you deserve to lose? Does the winner of the lottery deserve to win? if I ride the subway at 4AM with a hundred dollar bill in my hand, do I deserve to be mugged, but if I put it in my pocket I don’t deserve to be mugged? I’m serious this once, what do you mean?

In response to homeworld who said:
According to the general consensus on this site, the people who owned those cars deserved the break ins.

homeworld
Member

I didn’t say I was agreeing with the general consensus, but the last posting about breakins and GPS units said that the people deserved it for leaving them in their cars.

In response to plywood who said:
That’s an interesting sentence. Where are you going with that? If you buy a lottery ticket that doesn’t end up being a winner, do you deserve to lose? Does the winner of the lottery deserve to win? if I ride the subway at 4AM with a hundred dollar bill in my hand, do I deserve to be mugged, but if I put it in my pocket I don’t deserve to be mugged? I’m serious this once, what do you mean?

plywood
Member
plywood

Fair enough, just wondering what your take was. No offense, friend.

In response to homeworld who said:
I didn’t say I was agreeing with the general consensus, but the last posting about breakins and GPS units said that the people deserved it for leaving them in their cars.

wpDiscuz