Reader Mail: More of the same “reform”

12/30/2009:

Last Hoboken political letter of 2009

As the tumultuous political year of 2009 winds down, Hoboken411 reader Will wanted to share his thoughts on the current state of politics in Hoboken, as well as keeping the fire lit under our supposedly weary administration. I’m still waiting for the “good job so far!” letters, but haven’t received one:

Dawn Zimmer and Husband Stan Grossbard live in Hoboken NJ

Hypocrites in Reformer clothing

“For as long as I’ve lived in Hoboken, each and every municipal election always had a set of token reformers on the ballot. Criticizing what is wrong with the de facto government, and promises of greener pastures if they’re elected. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. We fell for this nonsense with the Roberts administration (along with the Soares’, Marshes, Cammaranos and more). Promises of reform always turned into political retardation within a couple years.

Fast forward to 2009, and our so-called reform didn’t even last a couple months. The voters that fell for the yuppie Zimmer ballot ought to be reminded of a few things:

CONTINUE THE REST OF THE LETTER AFTER THE JUMP!

(What Reform? Continued…)

  • The revolting taxpayers were just a front for the Zimmer team, under the false guise of a “non-partisanship” activist organization, several members were appointed jobs in the current administration. Notice how they stopped revolting, despite the failed promises of tax reform? A couple pre-planned emails aren’t going to scare anyone. I think we can safely retire those zany signs now.
  • They cried about and frowned upon double-dipping municipal jobs. Well, look at Mr. Lenz! Appointed for a second taxpayer-funded job thanks to Dawn Zimmer! He collects a second salary, more benefits and votes on all legislation. The open government groups, revolters and even Zimmer herself have been against these multiple taxpayer funded jobs, and now have nothing to say. This is why they’ve already lost their reformer label forever. Now you know why practically no effort was put into finding a non-connected straight-shooter to represent the 4th Ward.
  • While important city issues need quick decisions, the Zimmer Majority cancels the special council meetings and continually postpones others. The sense of urgency by our newly elected officials (like the city audit, tax revaluation) is obviously absent. (Insert empty, sympathetic reformer excuse here).
  • Many supporters of the current administration (Zimmer) have said apologetic things like “she’s only been on the job for seven weeks!” Yeah? Well, well why is it that she’s already taken TWELVE DAYS off from her Mayoral duties? And for the Zimmer supporters that say “it’s a much deserved vacation?” Yeah? Because she CHOSE to campaign for 11 months? Many times while on the clock as a taxpayer funded $100k+ acting mayor? If the malnourished woman is tired from her exhausting political campaigns, it has nothing to do with the duties of Mayor, nor does it mean we should be covering her undeserved long vacations. Barack Obama, the leader of the free world, has been in office almost 12 months, and he’s taken less time off than Dawn Zimmer. Even when he does take off, it’s a working vacation, holding press conferences and fully on call (did you notice how hard it was to get in touch with ANYONE during that recent fire on First Street? Way to go Zimmer! Run away!) I shudder when comparing Dawn Zimmer to Barack Obama, but the woman insisted on using Obama’s political slogans through out her own campaign, “Change that Works.” Really? What change? And when does it start working? Maybe it’s working for (benefiting) Zimmer and her newly hired friends, but it sure isn’t working for the residents of Hoboken.

Now is not the time for excuses or leniency when it comes to the performance of our elected officials. Instead of taking time off because of exhaustion, they owe it to the citizens to hit the ground running, working double or triple shifts with their sleeves rolled up. How can anyone feel sorry for them when they haven’t produced anything meaningful other than the advancement of their own self-serving political agenda and paychecks?

I’m very concerned that Mayor Zimmer and her newly elected council members show no sense of urgency regarding Hoboken’s serious state of affairs. Their nonchalance about being unprepared and uninformed at council meetings and their inability to hold special or emergency meetings in a timely manner suggest that they really don’t understand the scope of this city’s problems or how to resolve them.

Between the recession, Hoboken’s financial crisis, and extreme incompetence in our new administration and council members, I fear that Hoboken will be hit very hard in 2010. When the mess hits the fan, at least the majority of voters can say they DID NOT support Dawn Zimmer for Mayor.”

Leave a Reply

14 Comments on "Reader Mail: More of the same “reform”"

truth1
Member
truth1

There is much to be done in 2010 and only TIME will tell! “No wine before it’s time’but the clock is ticking. Stay tuned…the jury is still out!

davidcdavid64
Member
davidcdavid64

Before the mayor was elected she was in effect a temp worker. To push her adgenda at that time would not have been an appropriate thing.

I am concerned about the failure to release audit results.

I would like to see a forensic audit of the hospital. Unexpected huge budget gaps do not happen overnight. It is likley there was some accounting fraud going on their to keep it quiet until after the election perhaps. If fraud/ cover up is found we should be able to clawback money from holtzberg. Of course his appointment and pay was all about keeping his mouth shut and providing more city jobs and therefore votes. There may be reasons the administration would not want such results public.

What’s being hidden?

jman01
Member
jman01

If she was a temp worker as you say, then it was definitely unnecessary and inappropriate for her to hire and appoint over a dozen friends to Director and board positions before the November election.

Clearly, she WAS pushing her agenda right from the beginning, and clearly, she sucks at governing.

In response to davidcdavid64 who said:
Before the mayor was elected she was in effect a temp worker. To push her adgenda at that time would not have been an appropriate thing.

I am concerned about the failure to release audit results.

I would like to see a forensic audit of the hospital. Unexpected huge budget gaps do not happen overnight. It is likley there was some accounting fraud going on their to keep it quiet until after the election perhaps. If fraud/ cover up is found we should be able to clawback money from holtzberg. Of course his appointment and pay was all about keeping his mouth shut and providing more city jobs and therefore votes. There may be reasons the administration would not want such results public.

What’s being hidden?

jc5201
Member
jc5201

Incompetence is crime.

jamon
Member
jamon

It doesn’t matter who’s in charge, Hoboken is corrupted and always will be corrupted.
From the Russo’s to the Roberts not to mentioned Cammarano and now Zimmer… is all the same and nothing will ever change.
The only way it will change is by a COMPLETE sweep of all the people that are in charge.. not replace them with others that have been waiting for their shot at corruption, but with new blood, young blood that really cares about this town and their people and not about their status or power.
“Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely”

blaueaugen
Member
blaueaugen

I concur!

In response to jamon who said:
It doesn’t matter who’s in charge, Hoboken is corrupted and always will be corrupted.
From the Russo’s to the Roberts not to mentioned Cammarano and now Zimmer… is all the same and nothing will ever change.
The only way it will change is by a COMPLETE sweep of all the people that are in charge.. not replace them with others that have been waiting for their shot at corruption, but with new blood, young blood that really cares about this town and their people and not about their status or power.
“Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely”

mookie
Member
mookie

Hey Wendi

1. Of course they are nice to you – they need your vote!

2. If you aren’t following what has/is going on how can you say they are doing a good job??????????? Please list 3 campaign promises that she has kept?

Good luck with the answer to #2. By the way, if you are bored this week you should take a walk down to 308 Willow and take a look at your $65M liability.

Zimmer is already a disaster and will be a one-and-done mayor.

gazzosdriver
Member
gazzosdriver

In your mind, who is responsible for the hospital? Its not Dawn Zimmer. Spending will be down in 2010. 2011 spending will be down vs. 2010. What will you have to complain about then.

That said, I am still not satisfied with the level of cuts to the budget. The state’s audit of the public safety personnel recommended 16 positions to be terminated within the police department. Why the delay?

What is the status of the reval? Mookie, let me guess, you are against the reval.

In response to mookie who said:
Hey Wendi

1. Of course they are nice to you – they need your vote!

2. If you aren’t following what has/is going on how can you say they are doing a good job??????????? Please list 3 campaign promises that she has kept?

Good luck with the answer to #2. By the way, if you are bored this week you should take a walk down to 308 Willow and take a look at your $65M liability.

Zimmer is already a disaster and will be a one-and-done mayor.

wpDiscuz