Quiznos – Doomed

3/5/2009:

Hoboken411 reader Anne noticed yesterday that the chain sub shop Quizno’s had suddenly shut down!

What’s next?

hoboken-quiznos-closed-1.jpg

What? How Come? So suddenly?

“Closed! The inside was dark at 2:00 pm Wednesday, door locked, there’s a really big sign on the front door and another on the window that says, “Retail Space Available” with contact info. Some of the interior Quiznos decor appeared to have been removed.

I just called the non-emergency # for the Hoboken PD and asked if the closing was due to a break in/robbery, and the officer said no, he had not heard anything about any robbery or that Quiznos had closed at all. (I thought that was odd because the store is a stone’s throw from the Police Station on Hudson, I have seen many officers eating in there at lunch.)

I know Quiznos is a franchise, and lately there were some issues with corporate and the franchisees, but nothing serious enough that it could be directly attriubted to this location closing abruptly. I went there regularily for the past 2 years, and if anything, the store was busier recently than in the past. (Usually stores that go out of business have a drop off in customers, quality, etc, first indicating a problem.) I didn’t notice any such issues at Quiznos recently. Link to their corportate update.

I looked on the net, and I couldn’t find any articles or any blog postings talking about what happened at all.

Have you heard anything?

4/11/2006:

artery clogging “sauces”

Description – Fast Food
Services – subs, sandwiches, soup
Website – www.quiznos.com
Address – 100 Hudson St, Hoboken, NJ 07030
Telephone – 201-656-2280

Quiznos.JPG

1. jscirish27 says:

[quote comment=”141368″][quote comment=”141339″]This town is death to small business… the only way to survive here is to own the building. I am still curious as to the whole story about T&J’s though. What sane person would raise the rent on a thriving business, in essence evicting them, only to let the building lie fallow for a year? Income vs. no income? Strange. Maybe something personal between Gerry and the owner… who knows.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the landlord wanted the owners of the bar to sign over the liquor license or some such nonsense. I can’t blame them for saying fu*k it, lets shut it down. Now I bet we get a nail salon. I hope the landlord defaults on his mortgage…….I miss that place and wish nothing but bad luck on the owner of that building.[/quote]

I like Gerry. I didn’t hang out a T&J’s all that much, but I knew some of the staff and I liked the fact that Gerry was a “hand’s on” owner. The place was also “kid-friendly” for lunch or early dinner, which was good for my son. Zack’s is okay, but I think T&J’s was better overall. Somehow I think the landlord is set, otherwise I don’t think he would have alienated such a good tenant. I agree with your sentiments though.

2. davidcdavid64 says:

A business fails because it can’t generate enough cash flow to support itself of the people who work in it. I have noticed a large number of empty storefronts in town. A number of the businesses in town have already relocated or shut down because they can’t meet expenses. If you can help me to understand how increasing taxes won’t have an effect on rental space costs please tell me. At the same time you have strapped home owners with decreasing incomes due to a recession, and negative equity in their home (the home is worth much less than they are paying). At the same time you greatly increase their expenses (taxes). The net result is they have to cut back which puts further pressure on stores or they have to move. when the reval happens (which is required by law) those with low taxes will be faced with increases that have to be passed down to the store owners who now pay more rent. I’m not saying no to all taxes, because everyone realizes you have to maintain city government. At the same time the tax money should not be spent keeping the wealthy in tax payer financed building, paying for a greater number of police captains that required, paying them more than they get paid for the same position in New York city, paying heads of small community hospitals 800K a year (which is more than the heads of major medical institutions get). The list goes on and on and on. the major cause of our current fiscal crisis is the fact that for 30 years real incomes have been decreasing while consumer debt has increased. at some point something has to give. The consumer doesn’t have more to give anymore because we are bankrupt. The city doesn’t appear to realize this fact and acts as if we are all flush with the cash to pay for these unnecessary expenses. I’m not a big fan of supply side economics, but I think it is almost universally agreed that raising taxes in a recession is a bad thing regardless of party. Now you top that off with what amounts to not a little tax increase (47%) and it can’t be good for the local economy. When you take the history of fiscal excess in this town into consideration of course people are mad at the idea they are being forced from their homes so well connected people in town can maintain their perks. At the same time as people have to move out, the tax base decreases, the value of the homes decrease, and the tax revenue decreases. There is a famous curve (called the Lauffer curve I believe) that show that at a certain point increasing taxes results in decreasing revenue. I truly believe we have reached this point in Hoboken. I can’t believe any objective observer would believe this town spends it’s revenue wisely, and it is likely things have reached a point where they will either have the option of fixing it, or large decreases in tax revenue in the end. The end result is that instead of a few layoffs in city hall massive cuts will be required. All so a few greedy people can maintain their huge perks. This is no different that what wall street greed has done to the country. It is just happening on a smaller scale by the government of this town upon the tax payers who pay their salaries. Unlike the fed Hoboken doesn’t have the luxury of printing money, so the end result is clear. We can choose to ignore it, but when sh… hits the fan eventually the effect will be much worse in the end. That’s why this recession will be the worst since the great depression ( because we have delayed making the tough choices until it was too late) I’d rather try do do something now than later. I think most people in town realize we have to pay more in tax for city services, but lets be honest what has happened to the budget in this town defies all rational convention and not dealing with it in a manner that spreads the pain around is going to be a disaster for everyone. I’ve shown why you can’t tax your way out of the problem, and it isn’t going to go away. I’d rather pay the cop on the beat a fair wage and have more of them than over paying top brass. But when push comes to shove watch how top brass behaves. they won’t give up anything and hold their own interests above the town’s greater good. That’s what has been going on in the Hoboken local government for years.

3. 9 says:

Jesus Christ! Breathe, dude! 😯

4. Skywalker says:

New sign says “Coming soon: Marisa’s Pizza and Pasta”

5. hobojoe says:

Another “retail” establishment to fit the zoning, I presume. You know, selling frozen pizzas and boxes of Barilla.

6. 9 says:

There’s a hand-written sign over the door that says, “Coming soon: Marlena’s pizza, pasta, subs. About as necessary as another nail salon, real estate office or bank. 😐

7. Katie_Scarlett says:

[quote comment=”151308″]There’s a hand-written sign over the door that says, “Coming soon: Marlena’s pizza, pasta, subs. About as necessary as another nail salon, real estate office or bank. :|[/quote]
    But I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE pizza! Mmmmm.

8. MidnightRacer says:

[quote comment=”141408″]Gone With The Wind[/quote]

Prissy: Mammy, here’s Miss Scarlet’s Quizno’s sub.

Scarlett: You can take it all back to the kitchen; I won’t eat a bite. Mmm, mm, mmm. Quizno’s.

Mammy: Pennsylvania would be better for ya. You’d just get in financial trouble in Hoboken.

Scarlett: What financial trouble are you talking about?

Mammy: You know what financial trouble I’s talkin’ ’bout. I’s talking ’bout Mr. Mayor and Mrs. Land Lady. They’ll be comin’ to your store on the first of the month, and you sittin’ there waitin’ for him, just like a spare penny jar.

Scarlett: You go pack up my store like Mother said.

(The first of the month arrives)

knock, knock, knock, flatulance

Mayor Rhett Butler: I’m very wasteful and I intend on getting still wastefuler before this term’s over.

Scarlett: Great balls of VD. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sucker.

Mayor Rhett Butler: I’m not asking you to vote for me. I’ll never understand or forgive myself for screwing the town. And if the election gets me, so help me, I’ll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There’s one thing I do know… and that is that I got you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly town going under around us, I got you. Because we’re alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names.

Scarlett: [struggles] Don’t hold me like that!

Rhett Butler: What a woman.

Scarlett: My Quizno’s franchise dreams are over. Nothing will ever happen to me again.

9. Katie_Scarlett says:

Midnight racer- nice synopsis. 😀 But you forgot: Now that I own a quiznos, as God as my witness, I’ll never go hungry again!

10. LAmom says: