Annual Hoboken House Tour – 2009

10/22/2009:

2009-hoboken-house-tour

Annual Hoboken House Tour this Sunday

Each fall, the Museum invites the community to peek inside a new crop of homes sure to surprise and delight even the die-hard tour goers on the Annual Hoboken House Tour. On Sunday, October 25, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., eight generous homeowners will open their doors to visitors as a benefit for the Museum. Tour goers will be treated to an array of styles, from faithfully restored Victorians to contemporary adaptations and creative hybrids. Photos from previous tours are on view at www.hobokenhousetour.com. The tour is self-guided and typically takes between two and three hours.

Advance-purchase ticket vouchers are available for $25 at the Museum and On Oct. 25th, ticket vouchers are exchanged for a tour booklet at the Museum. Day-of-tour tickets are $30 ($25 for members).

A small army of volunteers is needed to help staff the tour; please call 201-656-2240, or send an e-mail to volunteer@hobokenmuseum.org, if you’re interested in helping out with a three-and-a-half-hour shift as a host in exchange for a free ticket.

Leave a Reply

5 Comments on "Annual Hoboken House Tour – 2009"

a_siren
Member

I stopped going on the house tour when over 25% of the stops on the tour ended up being new condos that were on the market (Consitution, Tea Building, etc). I used to go on the tour to see the amazing historical brownstone renovations. If I want to see a new condo, I’ll call a realtor to go for free and not have to pay $25. I would pay $25 to see a 8-10 private homes, beautifully restored with authentic details, and to hear the homeowners stories about the home and the renovations.

plywood
Member
plywood

You nailed it. It should be a condition of inclusion on this tour that the home not be on the market, even though it would be of interest to see the amazing water views from the top floor of some of those buildings. But I guess that wouldn’t be a “house tour”.

In response to a_siren who said:
I stopped going on the house tour when over 25% of the stops on the tour ended up being new condos that were on the market (Consitution, Tea Building, etc). I used to go on the tour to see the amazing historical brownstone renovations. If I want to see a new condo, I’ll call a realtor to go for free and not have to pay $25. I would pay $25 to see a 8-10 private homes, beautifully restored with authentic details, and to hear the homeowners stories about the home and the renovations.

earthbound
Member
earthbound

Today’s tour includes a 4,000 square foot renovated former carriage factory and you’ll see exposed mechanicals and the original elevator pulley-system. There are lots of 1800’s brownstones, plus the Dean of the Howe School of Technology’s home is on the tour (which is large enough to host 50+ players of the men’s lacrosse team). And, you can see a W Hotel condo, plus much more. Each year is unique, so please don’t be too quick to pre-judge what this year’s tour will be like.

In response to plywood who said:
You nailed it. It should be a condition of inclusion on this tour that the home not be on the market, even though it would be of interest to see the amazing water views from the top floor of some of those buildings. But I guess that wouldn’t be a “house tour”.

hobposer
Member
hobposer

this is sooooo risky!!! any1 can come to your house and steal something

earthbound
Member
earthbound

Each house on the tour is manned by vetted volunteers to assure nothing happens and in all the years that the tour has been going on, nothing ever has.

In response to midtownauthentic who said:
this is sooooo risky!!! any1 can come to your house and steal something

wpDiscuz