Sandwich Board Signs Everywhere!

10/8/2009:

Sidewalk clutter infestation

One of the last public speakers at last night’s Hoboken City Council meeting had a problem with the apparent out-of-control nature of sidewalk marketing in town.

He complained about how many signs there are, and how it creates annoying and unnecessary congestion. And after repeated attempts to report this to the police, and various departments at City Hall (including the Zoning Board) – he felt the need lodge his complaint for the record to the Council.

So now that the Council and Acting Mayor are aware of the problem – let’s see what happens next.

hoboken-sidewalk-signs-bother-some-residents

Leave a Reply

14 Comments on "Sandwich Board Signs Everywhere!"


Member
matt1122
5 years 10 months ago

They bother me less than stickers on buildings and other structures or signs held up by thumb tacks which just fall out and become a seemingly tasty treat for dogs and little kids who don’t know any better.

Member
5 years 10 months ago

Yeh. I don’t know why anyone would ever think I’d want to do business with their company after the just stuck stickers on my walls that I can’t get off.

http://hoboken411.com/archives/20089

In response to matt1122 who said:
They bother me less than stickers on buildings and other structures or signs held up by thumb tacks which just fall out and become a seemingly tasty treat for dogs and little kids who don’t know any better.

Member
5 years 10 months ago

168-45. Exemption; protrusion restrictions; interference. [Added 5-19-82 by Ord. No. C211; amended 9-4-1996 by Ord. No. R-198; 5-17-2000 by Ord. No. R-439]

A. The provisions of this Article shall exempt the display and sale of merchandise by local retail merchants from the sidewalk area directly in front of their own storefronts.

B. Said displays shall not protrude more than six (6) feet from the building line of the merchant’s premises or onethird (1/3) of the sidewalk abutting said premises, whichever is less, provided that a minimum of six (6) feet remains for the pedestrian right-of-way and/or passage way. Trees, tree wells, parking meters, trash receptacles, and other obstructions shall not be considered in determining the proper spacial area of the pedestrian right-of-way and/or passage way. Sidewalk space occupied by these abovementioned obstacles shall not be included in the calculation of available sidewalk area. No such display, sign, advertisement, or other type of placard shall be located in an area outside of the parameters defined herein. No such display shall be so placed as to protrude into or upon the sides of corner properties.

C. No display shall be so placed as to interfere with the pedestrian right-of-way.

Member
Downtown Dude
5 years 10 months ago

Over the past year or two the signs on Washington Street have become obnoxious. I’m all for displaying specials on signs, but the sidewalks have become too congested.

As a commuter it’s hard enough to dodge the stroller nazi’s without being bombarded by signs, joggers, rubberneckers, men on bikes and dogwalkers on Washington Street.

Back to the topic on hand, how can you have outdoor seating, signs, ballons, parking meters, bike racks, fire hydrants all in a 10 foot area? Why not just make us pedestrians walk in the road? Forget the bike lanes and create walk lanes. LOL.

Seriously there has too be a limit as to how far away from the building a sign is permitted. And if you have outdoor seating you should not be able to put another sign out in front of the gated area taking up more sidewalk.

Member
fantasmagoried
5 years 10 months ago

What’s a stroller nazi?

In response to Downtown Dude who said:
Over the past year or two the signs on Washington Street have become obnoxious. I’m all for displaying specials on signs, but the sidewalks have become too congested.

As a commuter it’s hard enough to dodge the stroller nazi’s without being bombarded by signs, joggers, rubberneckers, men on bikes and dogwalkers on Washington Street.

Back to the topic on hand, how can you have outdoor seating, signs, ballons, parking meters, bike racks, fire hydrants all in a 10 foot area? Why not just make us pedestrians walk in the road? Forget the bike lanes and create walk lanes. LOL.

Seriously there has too be a limit as to how far away from the building a sign is permitted. And if you have outdoor seating you should not be able to put another sign out in front of the gated area taking up more sidewalk.

Member
patssoxrevscelts
5 years 10 months ago

It’s annoying, but I would rather fix the issue of taking your life into your hands crossing the street before worrying about this. It does concern me on windy days like yesterday where you see them blowing over and blowing away, and the shop owners running up to pick them up just to be blown over again. If the wind is strong enough to blow them over/away, it’s a safety concern and they should be brought inside.

Member
5 years 10 months ago

It violates city ordinance, which I have posted verbatim on previous stories about it. He should write a letter to the zoning officer.

Member
JoeyComputer
5 years 10 months ago

Those signs don’t belong on public property. They should be ticketed for blocking the sidewalk.

In response to homeworld who said:
It violates city ordinance, which I have posted verbatim on previous stories about it. He should write a letter to the zoning officer.