Holiday Slowdown in Hoboken

9/5/2009:

Yes. Many places may be closed this weekend!

madison-bar-and-grill-hoboken-nj-closed-labor-day-weekend

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that many local businesses may close down for a portion or all of the Labor Day weekend each year.

If you’re one of the remaining residents left to mill around the mile square – I’d suggest you do exactly that. Mill around town. On foot. It’s going to be a beautiful weekend. Grab your cameras (take some photos for Hoboken411 too!) and see some areas you don’t normally get to see.

helmers-hoboken-nj-closed-labor-day-weekend

I’d suspect a greater number of downtown businesses may remain open compared to uptown. Speaking of which – here’s a brief collection of uptown tidbits I picked up yesterday (in case you’re interested):

Certainly there are a plethora of other business openings and closings – but just use common sense and either call – or get off your lazy butts and walk around a bit.

Speaking of lazy – the Hoboken website has zero “biography” for our acting Mayor. No surprise there…

hoboken-nj-website-dawn-zimmer-biography-absent

Leave a Reply

23 Comments on "Holiday Slowdown in Hoboken"

professor pinetop
Member
professor pinetop
yeswecan, it is not dawn’s lack of slickness that is bothersome. it is the fact that her handlers have hidden her lack of qualifications and that her visible performance at council meetings have shown her lack of experience. additionally, it seems that her supporters forgive her for mistakes and transgressions (absentee ballot scams two years ago, the current blatant power grab, inability to follow roberts rules of order) they would absolutely pillory other candidates and public figures for if they thought they disagreed with dawn. no one is insulting professional women or stay at home moms here; we are merely commenting on the fact that our unelected mayor (who admitted she does not want to be interim mayor because she is afraid of losing her council seat at the council meeting!!!!) has no real record of either professional or community accomplishment. her showing in the debates was terrible; anyone watching then could see that thinking on her feet is not one of her strong points. her showing as council president has not been good. there are many professional women/moms in our community with real resumes and community experience who would make a good mayor, unfortunately, dawn is not one of them. the fact that she allows ravi, peter and carol to visit her office at city hall together on a regular basis is also cause for concern (this many council members together in an unadvertised council meeting violates the sunshine law). two points to consider: 1) she has been brought… Read more »
Yes.We.Can.
Member
Yes.We.Can.
Some people excel at marketing themselves; when it comes to words of self-appraisal, they can stuff 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb. bag. Some even have bagfuls of money for professional press-releases, personal photographers, expensive full-color posters and mailers, consultants flown in from afar, and for push-polls. Some people have cultivated political aspirations over time, honed and fine-tuned their public marketing strategy with the best team of professionals that money can buy. Very impressive. Then there are accidental politicians, like Zimmer, whose interest in political office developed through community activism, who lack the calculated polish and cunning of her opponents, all puffed up and preening, trumpeting “superior” experience and qualifications (Cammarano was all over himself, crowing about having “better credentials”- he used those exact words at the OLG debate against Zimmer). Yeah, look how THAT turned out. It is Dawn’s lack of slickness, her authenticity, that so many of her supporters, and others appreciate; like she is in it for US and not for grander ambitions. Dawn ran a simple, honest campaign– volunteers sought her and not the other way around. Her bio wasn’t an issue then; funny how THAT is relevant at this time. I don’t think this strategy will work– picking on her “qualifications”, but lots of luck with it. You will surely piss off a lot of working women and stay-at-home moms, who deal with this kind of condescension on a daily basis. In the meantime, I would advise Dawn to throw up a bio… Read more »
jc5201
Member
jc5201
Maybe she was an accidental politician during her first campaign, but now that we are entering her 7th in 3 years, she should be more prepared than anyone. The acting mayor is obviously slick enough to convince you that there has been no “grander ambition”, but she has been running for mayor for the past two years. To the point where she would abstain from controversial votes and surround herself with questionable HCDO characters. She is about as slick a politician as there is in Hoboken. So much so that her followers have completely looked past her lack of transparency, her lack of fiscal responsibility and her lack of skill all in the name beating Cammarano who’s already beaten! She is as much reform as Mayor Roberts. In response to Yes.We.Can. who said: Some people excel at marketing themselves; when it comes to words of self-appraisal, they can stuff 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb. bag. Some even have bagfuls of money for professional press-releases, personal photographers, expensive full-color posters and mailers, consultants flown in from afar, and for push-polls. Some people have cultivated political aspirations over time, honed and fine-tuned their public marketing strategy with the best team of professionals that money can buy. Very impressive. Then there are accidental politicians, like Zimmer, whose interest in political office developed through community activism, who lack the calculated polish and cunning of her opponents, all puffed up and preening, trumpeting “superior” experience and qualifications (Cammarano was all over himself,… Read more »
oceanbloo
Member
oceanbloo
Well said, YWC. Only thing is, Dawn is in danger of self-imploding. She means well, but needs to step up her game. She needs to stay as clean as we expect her to be (otherwise she’s no better than the other dirty crooks), and she needs to be better prepared and to do her homework. Dawn doesn’t need to be slick, and it’s understood that her opponents are throwing up roadblocks, but she can/needs to do more to counter that. In response to Yes.We.Can. who said: Some people excel at marketing themselves; when it comes to words of self-appraisal, they can stuff 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb. bag. Some even have bagfuls of money for professional press-releases, personal photographers, expensive full-color posters and mailers, consultants flown in from afar, and for push-polls. Some people have cultivated political aspirations over time, honed and fine-tuned their public marketing strategy with the best team of professionals that money can buy. Very impressive. Then there are accidental politicians, like Zimmer, whose interest in political office developed through community activism, who lack the calculated polish and cunning of her opponents, all puffed up and preening, trumpeting “superior” experience and qualifications (Cammarano was all over himself, crowing about having “better credentials”- he used those exact words at the OLG debate against Zimmer). Yeah, look how THAT turned out. It is Dawn’s lack of slickness, her authenticity, that so many of her supporters, and others appreciate; like she is in it for US and… Read more »
matt_72
Member

By the way – it is more that I attack stupidity than defend Zimmer. I certainly am not a fan of that bus program of hers. If I spent all my time defending her, I wouldn’t have bothered w/ a bunch of long posts attacking that boondogle. But go ahead and pretend I am one of her “yes men”. That way you can pretend that I am not right in calling you a knucklehead for not running a google search that takes less time than it took me to type the first line of this post.

jc5201
Member
jc5201

The lack of a bio is very strange. The Acting Mayor never had one on the council page, either. When I was looking for info on the candidates during the 3 way election, it was no where to be found. It’s not like she hasn’t had the time or the staff to put together 3 paragraphs. Odd.

You would think someone involved in 6 elections in 3 years would have this at the ready.

matt_72
Member

And you would think that someone trying to find out something about a candidate (any candidate) would bother to check their campaign website where stuff like this can generally be found. Not like it is all that hard, google it. I found bios and position statements on major issues from all 3 candidates on their respective sites. Campaign related information like this has no business on the city council page or even the city website.

In response to jc5201 who said:
The lack of a bio is very strange. The Acting Mayor never had one on the council page, either. When I was looking for info on the candidates during the 3 way election, it was no where to be found. It’s not like she hasn’t had the time or the staff to put together 3 paragraphs. Odd.

You would think someone involved in 6 elections in 3 years would have this at the ready.

jc5201
Member
jc5201

Every other council person had a bio on the council page, she didn’t. I found that odd. I don’t think I’m assaulting her character or kicking the tires of her bike by saying it’s strange.

Maybe you’re probably blinded but the love of your shmoopies, or having trouble understanding that the council member info page is for info on the council members. The bio page for the mayor is for general background info on the mayor.

It’s simple stuff – where & if she went to college, where she grew up, how much she loves franks & beans. Nothing that would take a lot of time, and nothing controversial. Maybe her confidential aide can write “google me if you want info.”

Happy Labor Day, Matt. I hope your able to take a day off from your job as the acting mayor’s bouncer even on stupid issues where she’s clearly wrong.

In response to matt_72 who said:
And you would think that someone trying to find out something about a candidate (any candidate) would bother to check their campaign website where stuff like this can generally be found. Not like it is all that hard, google it. I found bios and position statements on major issues from all 3 candidates on their respective sites. Campaign related information like this has no business on the city council page or even the city website.

matt_72
Member

You are posting again when I just told you how to find the site? How lazy are you? Do you even know how to use google? If you can’t use google to find out that she is a graduate of the University of New Hampshire, blah blah blah, then you truly aren’t worth responding to. Enjoy your weekend, have fun finding more trivialities to complain about.

In response to jc5201 who said:
Every other council person had a bio on the council page, she didn’t. I found that odd. I don’t think I’m assaulting her character or kicking the tires of her bike by saying it’s strange.

Maybe you’re probably blinded but the love of your shmoopies, or having trouble understanding that the council member info page is for info on the council members. The bio page for the mayor is for general background info on the mayor.

It’s simple stuff – where & if she went to college, where she grew up, how much she loves franks & beans. Nothing that would take a lot of time, and nothing controversial. Maybe her confidential aide can write “google me if you want info.”

Happy Labor Day, Matt. I hope your able to take a day off from your job as the acting mayor’s bouncer even on stupid issues where she’s clearly wrong.

jc5201
Member
jc5201

Thanks Matt. But after a google search, I’m still missing info on her love of frank & beans.

In response to matt_72 who said:
You are posting again when I just told you how to find the site? How lazy are you? Do you even know how to use google? If you can’t use google to find out that she is a graduate of the University of New Hampshire, blah blah blah, then you truly aren’t worth responding to. Enjoy your weekend, have fun finding more trivialities to complain about.

matt_72
Member

Considering frank & beans is usually cooked in pork fat, I think you can be sure she doesn’t eat that. It isn’t kosher.

In response to jc5201 who said:
Thanks Matt. But after a google search, I’m still missing info on her love of frank & beans.

camel2
Member
camel2

There goes Matt again, on guard 24 hours a day to spin anything in his messiah’s favor.

Well then Matt, why don’t you propose that she stop putting her name in font size 300 on every announcement that is published anywhere? That she’s had NOTHING to do with? Why has she all of a sudden forgotten the word ACTING?

This city is an embarrassment. At least for now.

In response to matt_72 who said:
And you would think that someone trying to find out something about a candidate (any candidate) would bother to check their campaign website where stuff like this can generally be found. Not like it is all that hard, google it. I found bios and position statements on major issues from all 3 candidates on their respective sites. Campaign related information like this has no business on the city council page or even the city website.

matt_72
Member

There goes someone who excuses stupidity (yeah, not knowing how to use the internet to run a simple search for a bio & then posting online and complaining about the lack of a bio when it does in fact exist is pretty darn stupid) and loves to vote for crooks. Honestly, I only pointed out that this guy could have easily found what he was looking for had he tried. He didn’t and is full of BS. But you like BS, you eat it up every election and vote for the person that shovels the most your way it seems.

I could care less who puts what on signs. And this city is a whole lot less of an embarrassment now that the guy you voted for is no longer mayor. I don’t see TV cameras parked in front of city hall every day any more. That only happens when folks you vote for win elections. I bet that ticks you off to no end.

In response to camel2 who said:
There goes Matt again, on guard 24 hours a day to spin anything in his messiah’s favor.

Well then Matt, why don’t you propose that she stop putting her name in font size 300 on every announcement that is published anywhere? That she’s had NOTHING to do with? Why has she all of a sudden forgotten the word ACTING?

This city is an embarrassment. At least for now.

9
Member

Zeppelin Hall is open. No other place matters.

emarche
Member

Heading there later this afternoon. Can’t wait.

In response to 9 who said:
Zeppelin Hall is open. No other place matters.

wpDiscuz