Brown water is not appealing

9/1/2009:

They say don’t boil, but…

One Hoboken411 reader sent in this lovely clip of the “refreshing” brown water coming out of the taps of some downtown residents. This was all caused by a water main break in Jersey City.

United Water issued the following statement for Hoboken residents “dancing for joy” when they see what comes out of the faucet:

“The City of Hoboken customers may have discolored water due to a broken 24-inch water transmission main in Jersey City. The water remains safe, however, customers may prefer to wait until it runs clear before using it for drinking or washing clothes.

While Jersey City customers have been advised to boil their water due to low water pressure in the city, it is NOT necessary for Hoboken customers to do so.

Water pressure in Hoboken remains within the normal range so the boil water advisory is NOT in affect for Hoboken.United Water crews are working to make the repair to the broken main as quickly as possible.”

Leave a Reply

6 Comments on "Brown water is not appealing"

timetes
Member
timetes

is it not too much to ask ….living in hoboken to have clean water…..how come no one is screaming from the roof tops about this problem.

years ago down the turnpike through hudson county…..it was called “cancer alley” thirty year later we still havent found a way to keep our water clean? thousands probibly dead from bad water…….

Why cant we use the hudson river water and recyle it to have clean water…..like they do in saudi arabia? Plastic pips with no rust problems……

bmacqueens
Member

There was plenty of brown water at the office yesterday. (Harborside, Jersey City.) It’s amazing how often we have water main breaks around here. Is this what it will be like in a few decades when the suburbs are turning 100 years old? Breaks everywhere, all the time?

Thomas Jefferson
Member
Thomas Jefferson

Brown water may have a higher than usual bacterial count, but that brown stuff is mostly soil. That’s what water mains are buried in. Yes, it’s only a matter of time, as nothing lasts forever; water main pipes will break. Old cast iron pipes rust, ceramic pipes don’t rust, but they all leak. Given enough time, a leak will wash away the surrounding soil, and eventually, those heavy pipes will shift and flex the pipeline. At some time, the pipes will break instead of flexing. That’s when you have floods and potable water stops running from your faucets.

That’s a crappy way of building, but it’s cheaper than any other way, and although any form of preventive maintenance is impossible with that design, it’s what passes for the gold standard today.

In response to bmacqueens who said:
There was plenty of brown water at the office yesterday. (Harborside, Jersey City.) It’s amazing how often we have water main breaks around here. Is this what it will be like in a few decades when the suburbs are turning 100 years old? Breaks everywhere, all the time?

masterofkarate
Member
masterofkarate

if its brown flush it down…so it makes sense that its soil but i cant stop thinking its something else!

In response to Thomas Jefferson who said:
Brown water may have a higher than usual bacterial count, but that brown stuff is mostly soil. That’s what water mains are buried in. Yes, it’s only a matter of time, as nothing lasts forever; water main pipes will break. Old cast iron pipes rust, ceramic pipes don’t rust, but they all leak. Given enough time, a leak will wash away the surrounding soil, and eventually, those heavy pipes will shift and flex the pipeline. At some time, the pipes will break instead of flexing. That’s when you have floods and potable water stops running from your faucets.

That’s a crappy way of building, but it’s cheaper than any other way, and although any form of preventive maintenance is impossible with that design, it’s what passes for the gold standard today.

DavidsSling
Member
DavidsSling

The brown water is very bad for your heating system and your water heater.
Yes Water pipes break but they break more often because construction people are constantly digging up the pipes to connect
for water gas or whatever. I have seen them break the pipes numerous times. They also ruin the infrastructure of the roads which is already bad from underground springs and 100 year old wooden sewer pipes

In response to masterofkarate who said:
if its brown flush it down…so it makes sense that its soil but i cant stop thinking its something else!

hobposer
Member
hobposer

turn off the water!!!!

wpDiscuz