Hoboken Week in Review – 8/23/2009
Calm before the storm…
You can hear the natives rustling in the bushes… A shade more than 70 days left till the November elections (oh and you have a 3 1/2 weeks left to get your petitions in if you want to run for Hoboken Mayor!) Not sure about you guys, but while I’m enjoying the relative calm before the storm – something inside me feels like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop…
So what made the most discussed entries for the week ending Sunday, August 23rd, 2009?
Waiting patiently for the fall…
A simple sign at the Zeppelin Hall Beer Garden in Jersey City evoked civil conversation.
Yep – he’s still (sort of) in the news – with interesting updates about his campaign donors – as well as the mystery political smear fliers!
Testing out a new feature on Hoboken411 – the “Question of the Day.” Some highlights this week included the upcoming Mayoral Election, a new slogan for Hoboken – and without trying, the photo of the day became a question about deep fried hot dogs!
No, not the kind you tip at a restaurant – the Mayoral candidate readers want to give English tips to! Patricia Waiters enters the race…
A really odd article in the NY Times stating that “pot bellies” are in…
A city official parks poorly at a public meeting uptown… about parking and safety.
The new meters along Sinatra Drive are a bust. I provide a perfect way to correct that situation.
The Hoboken Dog Association is having issues.
A community meeting about the future of the NW area of Hoboken.
I highlight a ridiculous list featured on CNN Money. Edgewater seems to be a bustling single community.
- Biz Updates: Get a sneak peek at what the new 7-Eleven will look like. Not bad!
- COMING SOON: Popular Mexican eatery Charrito’s is opening up a spectacular new restaurant in Weehawken; progress report on the upcoming McCarthy’s Pub; “breaking news” about the new Shining Nails salon; and more high rise condos are planned to clog the SW area of town.
See what’s happening this week on Hoboken411 event calendar!
- NBC is looking for an apartment in Hoboken to film part of the new series “Mercy.”
- The Downtown Farmers Market on Tuesday
- After you stock up on veggies- have a beer and test your trivia skills at Mikie Squared on Tuesday
- The LAST Movies under the Stars of the season is on Wednesday
- The Uptown Farmers Market on Thursday
Inspirational Quote of the Week:
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”– Alan Watts