HRW Guest Review: Clinton Social

8/3/2009:

HRW Guest Review

As you may very well know – just one week left for Hudson Restaurant Week!

Hoboken411 reader Gweneth submitted this guest review for Clinton Social (7th and Clinton) – and received a free Hudson Deck (with over $400 in coupons.)

clinton-social-guest-review-hoboken-nj

SEE GWENETH’S REVIEW AFTER THE JUMP!!

(Clinton Social Guest Review, continued…)

So how was the Clinton Social?

“My husband and I went to Clinton Social last night for dinner. We had been there one time before in the first week it was open. When we went previously, I thought that they were just working out the new opening kinks and were willing to give it another chance. It might have been a mistake. The menu offering for restaurant week is a little weird- 2 course of appetizers really and then a 3rd course of dinner choices for $25 (no dessert course.)

There is a three course special offered for restaurant week. After waiting for 15 minutes to be seated, we ordered almost immediately. Half an hour later, our mini raw bar apps arrived. They were decent – especially the shrimp. For a 2nd course, I ordered the nachos and my husband ordered the mozzarella. It was over an hour before we got our second course (which did not seem to be hard to make). The food was fine- the nachos were what you would expect, but the mozz was great. It was just the wait period that seemed ridiculous. In the meantime, my husband had the wrong beer given to him by our waiter, but in the end, he took it off the bill, so we were pleased with that aspect.

clinton-social-meatloaf-and-oxtail-hoboken-nj-2

Our main courses came almost right after the 2nd course. I had the oxtail and my husband had the M&M (a meatloaf sandwich basically.) My husband loved his dish and I tasted it too. The bread was very good. I was not as happy with the oxtail (it was kind of fatty and had a lot of sauce), but never having had oxtail before, I had nothing to compare it to. My husband liked it though, so I had it wrapped to take home.

Overall, other than the waiting time between the two courses, it was a pretty good experience. Our waiter was friendly – I do not know what the kitchen is up to with things taking a little long. It’s not like we were at Union Square CafĂ© or some place where the wait time between courses is part of the ambiance and experience. I guess we would go back, especially given that it is so close to our house.

Leave a Reply

11 Comments on "HRW Guest Review: Clinton Social"

The Unblinking Eye
Member
The Unblinking Eye
Hey all, I can coment on something finally since I was just there on Monday night and took advantage of the resturant week special. This would be the 3rd time i have been to the Social Club and my fiance & I love it since it’s literally a block from home. Contrary to some of the above reviews, I have not had a bad experience at this resturant yet. Have never waited more than a few mins for a table and the service has always been spot on. I love the fact that there is a front “hang out” bar area and a quiet dining room in the back so you have a a choice. I’d love to know where the owner got the old school Hoboken street signs. (Envy!) 2 points – 1)the tap water tastes like it came out of a hose on the sidewalk. I’m a block away & it does not taste anything like that! You should not be forced to buy bottled. Fix that 2) Steak Frites is not something that you should be messing with. Fingerling potatoes are all wrong. We want our fries!(Steak was great though) OK – 1st course -I had the watermelon & arugula salad, VERY fresh and the dressing was excellent. 2nd course – The fried mozzarella which came with a very savory sundried paste. VERY impressed with that dish. 3rd course – was the M&M. Meatloaf & Mozz on a big roll. this was very tasty but only complaint… Read more »
homeworld
Member
I commented the same thing about the taste of their water! In response to The Unblinking Eye who said: Hey all, I can coment on something finally since I was just there on Monday night and took advantage of the resturant week special. This would be the 3rd time i have been to the Social Club and my fiance & I love it since it’s literally a block from home. Contrary to some of the above reviews, I have not had a bad experience at this resturant yet. Have never waited more than a few mins for a table and the service has always been spot on. I love the fact that there is a front “hang out” bar area and a quiet dining room in the back so you have a a choice. I’d love to know where the owner got the old school Hoboken street signs. (Envy!) 2 points – 1)the tap water tastes like it came out of a hose on the sidewalk. I’m a block away & it does not taste anything like that! You should not be forced to buy bottled. Fix that 2) Steak Frites is not something that you should be messing with. Fingerling potatoes are all wrong. We want our fries!(Steak was great though) OK – 1st course -I had the watermelon & arugula salad, VERY fresh and the dressing was excellent. 2nd course – The fried mozzarella which came with a very savory sundried paste. VERY impressed with that dish. 3rd… Read more »
Altimes
Member
Altimes

I went there on Restaurant Week with my partners. 1st course I had was also the first warning. It was the mini raw bar from the 3 course. The clams were warm and not chilled. I decided to give the manager a worried spiel with the clams being warm and the kitchen door with the garbage right next to it open and food visibly being surrounded by flies in the kitchen.
The second course which was eggplant made me give up hope. It was plain and unremarkable. I canceled my order and did not want to try the oxtail. They did not charge ne the 25. But my partner finished his 3 course that ended with the fish and chips. Mind you, the chips happened to be what was on the kitchen trays with the door wide open and flies buzzing around. I left very disappointed and had two good things to say in the end. The fish was decent and leaving was even better.

Please mind my errors above. I wrote this on my iPhone and the beta mobile site 411 still gives a Lil trouble editing.

Blagoscamarano
Member
Blagoscamarano

Beautiful bar and a really nice place to hang out and have a couple. Think they did a great job with the look and feel at the bar.

At with several friends a few weeks ago. Friend loved the ribs and I had a chicken dish that was at best okay, but the mashed potatoes were very good.

It’s worth another shot. This place has a great ambiance and hopefully they will be able to deliver a solid dinner across the board on their menu.

pawzclawz
Member
pawzclawz

I haven’t been there yet. I will be in that area tonight. I’ll stop in for drinks.

AndyT
Member
AndyT

I went there with 5 friends for dinner and drinks about a month ago. The food was awful across the board. Sangria was like Bug Juice. My wife and the rest of the 5 people all agreed. I am not going back. The food was horrible and we ended up at the bar spending way too much money. Not recommended.

lucarelj
Member
lucarelj

Not a fan of this place. The food is mediocre. The crowd is just odd…can’t put my finger on it, but just something off about the place. AND…they bastardized my last name by putting it on a pathetic excuse for lasagna…that displeased me. The menu seems like it just tried to be too fancy for it’s own good.

In response to AndyT who said:
I went there with 5 friends for dinner and drinks about a month ago. The food was awful across the board. Sangria was like Bug Juice. My wife and the rest of the 5 people all agreed. I am not going back. The food was horrible and we ended up at the bar spending way too much money. Not recommended.

HobokenRes
Member
HobokenRes

I ate here about a month and ago and was very pleased with everything. The menu consisted of several unique options at affordable prizes. I had a special consisting of grouper and some fingerling potatoes. My friends had the risotto special and a fancy hot dog respectively. The food came promptly and everyone in the group enjoyed what they ordered immensely. The drink menu was unique for Hoboken and there was a nice selection of beers on tap. I will definitely be back.

In response to lucarelj who said:
Not a fan of this place. The food is mediocre. The crowd is just odd…can’t put my finger on it, but just something off about the place. AND…they bastardized my last name by putting it on a pathetic excuse for lasagna…that displeased me. The menu seems like it just tried to be too fancy for it’s own good.

wpDiscuz