Live City Council Video – 8/5/2009

8/6/2009 Update:

VIDEO ARCHIVES NOW AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING (ALONG WITH 411 LIVE CHAT).

(Click to open and expand each section)

[slider Group=A title=”Video Part 1: First 20 minutes before closed session“]
Part 1:

[/slider]
[slider Group=A title=”Video Part 2: Remainder of meeting (66 minutes total)“]
Part 2:

[/slider]
[slider Group=A title=”Hoboken411 Live Chat: (800 user comments)“]

[/slider]

8/5/2009 Reminder:

Once again – this video wouldn’t be online if it wasn’t for Hoboken411’s helpful community involvement. Tune back here at 7pm!

8/4/2009:

Get angry in your skivvies

Once again, you can check out the Hoboken City Council Meeting LIVE here on Hoboken411. Just like two weeks ago – the live video stream will be accompanied with a H411 live chat – which you can chime in with your two cents. You can even twitter from your mobile device using either hashtags #hoboken411 or #cityofhoboken. If you don’t know what that means – don’t fret – you can still type the old fashioned way!

Just turn on your PC – and come back to this page at 7pm on Wednesday, August 5th!

Here’s the light Council Agenda for your review.

Leave a Reply

54 Comments on "Live City Council Video – 8/5/2009"

hobojoe
Member

I have known John for a long long time. I never was able to figure out exactly what his story was, but something happened in his past which had a severe impact on his life. As he gets older, aging is only making him less “with it”. Unfortunately, certain local persons are taking advantage of him and basically using him as a pawn – he is incapable of understanding this, though. I do have a lot of sympathy towards him – often he really does not know what’s going on.

whineanddineinhob
Member
whineanddineinhob

I agree with you hobojoe. And in my opinion, the same can be sad for Carmen “Bacala” except for locals taking advantage of him.

In response to hobojoe who said:
I have known John for a long long time. I never was able to figure out exactly what his story was, but something happened in his past which had a severe impact on his life. As he gets older, aging is only making him less “with it”. Unfortunately, certain local persons are taking advantage of him and basically using him as a pawn – he is incapable of understanding this, though. I do have a lot of sympathy towards him – often he really does not know what’s going on.

wiskeytango1
Member
wiskeytango1

Whineanddine..If you are familar with Carmen Bacala,as long as I know him,no one takes advandage of him..When he is off his meds he has the strength of five men..Don’t underestermate,him.
At this time don’t know where he may be..If he was around city hall now he would be driving them crazy..

In response to whineanddineinhob who said:
I agree with you hobojoe. And in my opinion, the same can be sad for Carmen “Bacala” except for locals taking advantage of him.

whineanddineinhob
Member
whineanddineinhob

I’ve known “bacala” all my life. You said in your reply about “John” that certain local people are taking advantage of him. I stated to you that I agreed with your observations (which can also apply to Carmen) EXCEPT Carmen being taken advantage of by locals. He’d never have any of that. Had many great times with Carmen both in town at bars (Lisa’s and Harpo’s) and down the shore in the 60’s and 70’s with the Young Dems. When he’s around I’ve always been treated with the greatest respect and I’ve treated him the same. I haven’t a clue where he is either but I hope he’s well.

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:
Whineanddine..If you are familar with Carmen Bacala,as long as I know him,no one takes advandage of him..When he is off his meds he has the strength of five men..Don’t underestermate,him.
At this time don’t know where he may be..If he was around city hall now he would be driving them crazy..

Tama Murden
Member

Re 47.: I disagree. He’s not a sphincter. He’s a fragile soul. I winced/felt sad, watching him @ the 8/5 Council meeting.

I commend the Council for treating him with humanity—any one of them could have called for his removal.

I’ve observed many folks tolerating him with smirk-asides, for years. Especially at the feast, when he appears in his tux.

Maybe he provides some “entertainment value” for some folks–including some of the major media who sat resident during our recent sh*tstorm. “John” was willingly symbiotic, approaching media trucks with the same unhinged diatribe witnessed last night. He was seen as “local color” while they hoped for something more substantive.

davidd
Member
davidd

Determined agreed. The council showed real progress today.

That combined with the promise of a more open process for directors (submitting resumes) Gives me hope for a clean and reformed govt. And hope to see the monitor leaving in a timely fashion.

upyurs
Member
upyurs

On a different topic from last evening. I heard Ms Zimmer state that anyone who wants to apply for the 4 positions of Directors to submit their resumes. I did not hear her say Director of Finance is open. What gives? Also, I do not beleive there is a Diretor of Parking. When the council changed from Authority to Utility it did away with the Director. I beleive the current person running the Utiliy is an ee and not a Director. I never recall when council passed a directorship for the organization of the city for the utility.Anyone have input on this.

upyurs
Member
upyurs

Give Ms. Zimmer credit she stated clearly that she was only going to take the Mayor salary. While I clearly are in favor on moving this City forward, I am a bit confused whay she didn’t ask for a 15% decrese. I have attended most council meetings then most of the current members. I recall that Ms Castellano had asked for a 10% decrese and Ms Zimmer wanted a 15% decrease. Since she now has the votes why not 15% for all. Also,there should of been a discussion on the other benefirs isssue. It states same as Supv. agreement of the ee’s. How many sick days, vacation days do they all get? Also, how can they receive the same as Supv., isn’t that a conflict since they approve the Supv. contract? I fell there should of been more discussion on this. Does anyone have an input on this?

IndieCom
Member

upyurs: The council passed a resolution back in Feb or March reducing the mayor’s salary by 10%. This was, apparently, a compromise in order to get some sort of reduction. Apparently the existing salary (with the 10% reduction) is the guidepost. It was also first reading, limited discussion is protocal.

In response to upyurs who said:
Give Ms. Zimmer credit she stated clearly that she was only going to take the Mayor salary. While I clearly are in favor on moving this City forward, I am a bit confused whay she didn’t ask for a 15% decrese. I have attended most council meetings then most of the current members. I recall that Ms Castellano had asked for a 10% decrese and Ms Zimmer wanted a 15% decrease. Since she now has the votes why not 15% for all. Also,there should of been a discussion on the other benefirs isssue. It states same as Supv. agreement of the ee’s. How many sick days, vacation days do they all get? Also, how can they receive the same as Supv., isn’t that a conflict since they approve the Supv. contract? I fell there should of been more discussion on this. Does anyone have an input on this?

wpDiscuz