“Zero Tolerance” on 4th of July

6/25/2009:

Details are slowly coming together as to what is/isn’t going on in Hoboken this July 4th – one of them was a “near end of term” announcement from Mayor David Roberts:

hoboken-zero-tolerance-4th-of-july-macys-hudson-river

No monkey business – we mean it!

“On Saturday, July 4, 2009, Hoboken will be a central site for the Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Celebration on the Hudson River. Thousands of visitors are expected to come to our community to help commemorate the birthday of our great nation. It is also a day where participants in this festive day must use good judgment to ensure an orderly event. All available police officers, firefighters, the Office of Emergency Management, building inspectors and other municipal officials will be enforcing all codes and regulations regarding public behavior with a zero tolerance level.

This includes absolutely no rooftop parties or gatherings for viewing of the fireworks celebration, unless the said property has met the code standards for such usage. And it is especially important that no overcrowding occur on these properties. Furthermore, the use of balconies, fire escapes, porches or any other structures for viewing are strictly prohibited within the confines of the codes for such structures. And it is imperative that no overcrowding occur in any of these locations as well.

It is important to emphasize that all codes for the use of rooftops and other aforementioned structures will be strictly enforced with a zero tolerance policy. The safety and well being of all participants in this historic occasion in the City of Hoboken is the highest priority. We ask your cooperation in all endeavors related to the Saturday, July 4th Macy’s Fireworks Celebration here in the City of Hoboken.

Your assistance to ensure that this celebration will remain safe for all those participating is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mayor David Roberts”

Leave a Reply

40 Comments on "“Zero Tolerance” on 4th of July"

lily731
Member

I was wondering the same thing about the “best place to watch.” Is there any benefit to being a Hoboken resident if we don’t have our own or a friend’s apartment with a view of the river? Don’t we have to wait in line like everyone else to go up on Steven’s campus? I’m worried about the chaos and crowding by the river…

Maybe Weehawken really is a better bet than Hoboken? But I wouldn’t know much about where in Weehawken to go.

This may be a dumb question, but is it safe to assume it’ll be way too crowded to bring a chair or blanket, and everyone will be standing? Or what about bringing a couple of chairs to the river by where the benches are in the late afternoon and waiting a few hours?

emarche
Member

It’s not a dumb question, lily, but chances are pretty good that it will be packed with standing people.

I think the ideal place to see this would be from the cliffs up in Union City. Probably impossible to get a spot up there, but honestly, the combination of the fireworks with NYC as a backdrop? Perfect.

In response to lily731 who said:
I was wondering the same thing about the “best place to watch.” Is there any benefit to being a Hoboken resident if we don’t have our own or a friend’s apartment with a view of the river? Don’t we have to wait in line like everyone else to go up on Steven’s campus? I’m worried about the chaos and crowding by the river…

Maybe Weehawken really is a better bet than Hoboken? But I wouldn’t know much about where in Weehawken to go.

This may be a dumb question, but is it safe to assume it’ll be way too crowded to bring a chair or blanket, and everyone will be standing? Or what about bringing a couple of chairs to the river by where the benches are in the late afternoon and waiting a few hours?

YipYap
Member

The best place would be on the hill near the the tennis courts
at Steven’s. The view should be unobstructed, and if you get there early you can stake out some grass to sit on.

link –> maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...957,0.001676&z=19&iwloc=A

I won’t be in town so enjoy the show…

Margaret
Member

Where is the absolute best spot to see the fireworks?
Which pier, which part of Sinatra Drive? It will be forty minutes of boom boom and then what?

I asked if we will have patriotic music and nobody knows…

homeworld
Member

“I asked if we will have patriotic music and nobody knows…”

Who is we, and who doesn’t know? The music will be simulcasted. Turn your radio on.

In response to Margaret who said:
Where is the absolute best spot to see the fireworks?
Which pier, which part of Sinatra Drive? It will be forty minutes of boom boom and then what?

I asked if we will have patriotic music and nobody knows…

strand tramp
Member
strand tramp

wouldn’t the best spot be in your taxpayer financed apartment, where you can enjoy all the “gravy”?
40 minutes of boom boom and then all you BNR’s can go back to stealing from the taxpayers and hoping you dont get thrown out in the street when the patriotic music stops.

In response to Margaret who said:
Where is the absolute best spot to see the fireworks?
Which pier, which part of Sinatra Drive? It will be forty minutes of boom boom and then what?

I asked if we will have patriotic music and nobody knows…

HansBrix
Member
HansBrix

The “absolute best spot to see the fireworks” is guaranteed to be a mosh pit of noisy, boisterous, and littering humanity.

That said, the best spot is probably in Weehawken – Blvd East if you like balcony seats, and waterfront if you’re more of an orchestra seat kind of person.

In response to Margaret who said:
Where is the absolute best spot to see the fireworks?
Which pier, which part of Sinatra Drive? It will be forty minutes of boom boom and then what?

I asked if we will have patriotic music and nobody knows…

emarche
Member

I don’t think visitor permits are required, but I do know that the streets shut down at noon up by the Shipyard. Only cars getting through after that point will be residents and they will be required to show photo ID as well as proof-of-residence. They’re definitely not screwing around with this one.

drdrool
Member
drdrool

There are signs all the way up in Fort Lee starting above the GWB saying both River Road and Blvd East are closed on the 4th to all but residents.

In response to emarche who said:
I don’t think visitor permits are required, but I do know that the streets shut down at noon up by the Shipyard. Only cars getting through after that point will be residents and they will be required to show photo ID as well as proof-of-residence. They’re definitely not screwing around with this one.

BklynHobo
Member

Anyone know if people need visitor permits on Saturday, or are they not necessary since it’s a holiday?

wpDiscuz