Share the Road!

Share the Road signs fledgling in Hoboken

After seeing these countless times, I’m no longer sure who these “share the road” signs were intended for anymore. Is it to remind drivers about the psycho bikers? Or for cyclists who drive recklessly to remember that multi-ton, high speed “mobile devices” can kill them in an instant?

Either way – the signs are now obviously suffering from “urban decay” as this one near the Hoboken High School is marred with stickers and other (intentionally placed) dirt. Most likely some kind of food. Haha!

I still believe that the ROADS were intended primarily for motor vehicles – and instead of clamoring for bike safety – people should just assume the “bike at your own risk” mentality and be done with it.

Share the road sign vandalized in Hoboken NJ

Hoboken has “share the road” signs

6/11/2009:

Many have said that despite street markings and signage – Hoboken is not the most bike friendly town around. With double parkers, stop-sign runners, and general lack of courtesy. At the same time, bikers aren’t necessarily the friendliest either – riding on sidewalks, also violating traffic signals – and being arrogant pricks thinking the world owes them favors.

Anyway, I spotted another new “share the road” sign on Bloomfield between 11th and 12th. Most likely will be ignored by drivers.

share-the-road-in-hoboken

Leave a Reply

47 Comments on "Share the Road!"


Member
blaueaugen
6 years 8 months ago

maybe is these f’ing bicyclers actually followed traffic rules like riding with traffic, stopping at stop signs and traffic lights and riding down the right way on one way streets…courtesty goes BOTH WAYS!!! rules of the road hold the same for bike riders and car drivers!

Member
6 years 8 months ago

f’ing bicyclers? f you blaueugen, you’re probably the prick that almost hit me while making an illegal left while blabbing on your cell phone while I had the right of way on the road.

In response to blaueaugen who said:
maybe is these f’ing bicyclers actually followed traffic rules like riding with traffic, stopping at stop signs and traffic lights and riding down the right way on one way streets…courtesty goes BOTH WAYS!!! rules of the road hold the same for bike riders and car drivers!

Member
scottm
6 years 7 months ago

Oh yeah, because motorists in all respect stop signs and parking laws. I biked to work for years in Virginia, but sold my bike the minute I saw Hoboken and Jersey City drivers. Having witnessed one woman and her toddler run over by a pickup truck turning left at a stop sign without looking for pedestrians, and having been chased of crosswalks myself by cars completely oblivious to their surroundings, you’ll never convince me motorists are the law abiding ones in town. In response to blaueaugen who said: maybe is these f’ing bicyclers actually followed traffic rules like riding with… Read more »

Member
wiskeytango1
6 years 7 months ago

Scott M, Many vehicles with out of state tags shoot out of the lipton bldg pk lot as well as the hudson st n 14th at a high rate of speed…Lets not identify the wackos as just the hoboken drivers. Lots of kamikaze pilots on bikes scotters electric bikes on their way to work..some on cell phones.. In response to scottm who said: Oh yeah, because motorists in all respect stop signs and parking laws. I biked to work for years in Virginia, but sold my bike the minute I saw Hoboken and Jersey City drivers. Having witnessed one woman… Read more »

Member
justaview
6 years 8 months ago

it sure looks like that car is gonna kill that biker!

Member
mooshu
6 years 7 months ago

LOL!

In response to justaview who said:
it sure looks like that car is gonna kill that biker!

Member
9
6 years 8 months ago

I agree with you that a lot of bikers, ahem, take liberties with traffic laws, but there are too many motorists who are either oblivious to bikers’ presence, or just don’t give two shits. And don’t get me started on the double parking, which is why these bike lanes will never work.

Member
wiskeytango1
6 years 7 months ago

hey nut cases with bikes..This is not malaysia,or manila..Not Paris,or Prague..Not Mayberry RFD..The most moranic stunt I saw was a woman with a kid in a type of rear seat on a bike..Real smart..chit head mom.Another crossing on a bike talking on the cell phone..This is the new breed..Also the illegal nannys pushing newbees kids crossing streets not looking while on cell phones. Hey another complaint..Pot holes in the bike paths..taxpayers revolt..rotf. In response to 9 who said: I agree with you that a lot of bikers, ahem, take liberties with traffic laws, but there are too many motorists who… Read more »

Member
wiskeytango1
6 years 7 months ago

It was moranic to even pass that ordnance with the dangers involved..Town just not constructed to accommodate a asian Europian type atmosphere…Ludicious and absurd to say the least..A train wreck waiting to happen.. In response to wiskeytango1 who said: hey nut cases with bikes..This is not malaysia,or manila..Not Paris,or Prague..Not Mayberry RFD..The most moranic stunt I saw was a woman with a kid in a type of rear seat on a bike..Real smart..chit head mom.Another crossing on a bike talking on the cell phone..This is the new breed..Also the illegal nannys pushing newbees kids crossing streets not looking while on… Read more »

Member
bradykp
6 years 7 months ago

the town was also not constructed to handle the amount of cars it handles. doesn’t mean the town cannot be improved to handle bikes and cars, or any mix of them. it’s this amazing thing called brains. technology has also helped us.

we’re actually very similar to a lot of european cities structurally and in size.

In response to wiskeytango1 who said:
It was moranic to even pass that ordnance with the dangers
involved..Town just not constructed to accommodate a asian
Europian type atmosphere…Ludicious and absurd to say the
least..A train wreck waiting to happen..

Member
Imasucker Bravo
6 years 7 months ago

You know, it’s a shame my children will never learn the joys of riding a bike like I did when I grew up. In order for them to safely ride, I have to load their two bicycles in my car and drive to Liberty State Park.

Now I know why there are no bicycle racks at my childrens’ school. Would you want your child riding a bike to school in Hoboken?

Member
wiskeytango1
6 years 7 months ago

bravo.You have to be crazy to even let the kids ride a bike in the street..As kids many of us rode bikes on the sidewalk. streets were closed off and nites we rode on roller skates.. Again your not in the farm lands with open space.You should be realistic if you love your kids.This is not where you came from..motorcycles ride in packs at night on washington st..comeon,there not hoboken people.Yet not one newbee complains at the councel meetings in regard to that.. In response to Imasucker Bravo who said: You know, it’s a shame my children will never learn… Read more »

Member
mooshu
6 years 7 months ago

I think that anyone who decides to ride a bike in this town is clearly out of his/her mind. But, again, that’s just me.

I’d like to add that, as of late and in spite of these signs, I have seen MORE cyclists riding along sidewalks instead of streets. It pisses me off, immensely. And so I really hope that a pedestrian accidently runs into a stupid cyclist on the sidewalk, knocking him/her off the bike.

Enjoy learning the hard way.

wpDiscuz