Endorsements roll in for Cammarano

5/30/2009 Update:

Another day, another round of endorsements

Supporters are coming out in droves to back Mayoral candidate Peter Cammarano.

pba-endorsement-photo

Hoboken PBA

Police Officers Back Cammarano; “Best Qualified” to Protect Public

The Hoboken PBA is endorsing Peter Cammarano for Mayor of Hoboken.

“We strongly encourage all residents who care about the future of this city to join us in supporting Peter Cammarano on June 9,” said PBA President Vince Lombardi. “Peter is fully committed to public safety and will work with our membership to make sure that our families, homes and businesses are protected today and tomorrow.”

Lombardi said that Cammarano is showing real courage by opposing the state plan to lay-off 16 police officers as a budget-cutting measure. His opponent Dawn Zimmer has said she supports the lay-offs. “Peter Cammarano is proving that he has the right priorities for Hoboken and that he understands that sacrificing public safety is the wrong choice.”

Cammarano said he is proud to receive the police officers’ endorsement. “On July 4, about 35,000 visitors are coming to Hoboken to watch the Hudson River fireworks show,” he said. “Cutting public safety personnel is reckless and foolish.”

Cammarano is dedicated to creating a safer and more secure Hoboken for all of our families and residents and Lombardi’s endorsement underscores this commitment to the City.

richard-delboccio-endorses-peter-cammarano-for-mayor

Former Councilman Richard DelBoccio

“As a life-long Hoboken resident, educator and City Council member, I have had the pleasure to meet many of you over the years and, hopefully, have been of assistance to you as a neighbor or public official.

As we approach the crucial June 9th municipal elections, I urge you all to support my friend and former City Council colleague Peter Cammarano for mayor, as well as his entire at-large council slate of Angel Alicea, Vincent Addeo and Raul Morales, II.

Over the past four years, Peter has shown professionalism and leadership on the City Council, rising to every occasion to separate politics from sound policy. Peter has demonstrated compassion and objectivity in facing the issues of the day. This was especially evident by his fulfilling the responsibility of a council member to introduce the municipal budget. His opponent, meanwhile, chose to abstain and allow state intervention of our fiscal matters.

Peter is not afraid to confront tough issues and reach fair conclusions. He will serve us well as mayor in a time of uncertainly on a local and national level.

Please join me and support Peter and his team on June 9th.

Richard Del Boccio

See other endorsements after the break…

5/28/2009:

Petey Cammarano gets more support from former candidates…

chris-carbine-ryn-melberg-and-timothy-occhipinti-support-peter-cammarano

Cammarano Announces Key Community Endorsements

“Hoboken mayoral candidate Peter Cammarano today announced the support of three key community leaders and former candidates in May’s mayoral and city council election.
At a City Hall news conference, former mayoral candidate Ryn Melberg and city council candidates Chris Carbine and Timothy Occhipinti announced their support of Cammarano, citing the need to restore fiscal responsibility and return control to the city.

“Ryn, Chris and Tim reflect all elements of our community and their input to my administration will be very helpful as we move forward,” said Cammarano. “This will be an inclusive administration and we need to hear all voices. They will play a crucial role in my administration as we move forward.”

Melberg, Carbine and Occhipinti and others will play leading roles in the transition process in regard to searching for a business administrator and identifying new technology to help usher Hoboken’s government into the 21st century.

They will also serve on a citizen committee in planning a long range budget as the city moves out from under from state control.

Today’s endorsement comes a day after Assemblyman Ruben Ramos, Jr. announced his support of Cammarano, citing his leadership ability and vision to move forward an inclusive and responsible platform.
Cammarano has also received support from major labor unions, as well as numerous other community leaders.”

Leave a Reply

270 Comments on "Endorsements roll in for Cammarano"

kai07030
Member

Well, all I know that Cammarano has my vote. So next week my rass will be right at Brant School to vote for him and will play some Soca music when he wins.

estevens
Member

Time for some flashback facts:

October 2003 – The city council voted 6-3 in favor of an ordinance that would restructure the city’s debt, refinancing at a higher rate of interest and extending the payments over a longer period. The cost of doing so was nearly $15M in ADDITIONAL interest, plus another half-million paid in borrowing costs, payable to NW Financial, whose principal and founder Dennis Enright saw fit to contribute $28K to the then Roberts-controlled Hoboken Democratic Party in the three-year period leading up to the refinancing. Voting for: Addeo, Campos, Cricco, DelBocchio, Giacchi, Ramos. Voting against: Castellano, Marsh, Soares.

That’s $15 million spent to defer, not save, $2M in annual debt costs for a five-year period that ends this year. City council chambers were packed with city workers who were told that there would be $2M in layoffs if the restructuring did not pass.

From the HR, 10/5/2003: 3rd Ward Councilman Vincent Addeo said that it is worth absorbing the future cost to protect jobs today. He said that the “working people” should not be made to carry the brunt of this burden. “I strongly believe that in this case, the pros outweigh the cons,” said Addeo.

Back again?

matt_72
Member
Addeo is an idiot. Those costs aren’t a 1 time thing. You keep paying salaries & bennies every year until these folks retire – and then it is pensions and bennies until they die. Clearly the man doesn’t care about the taxpayers at all. Not surprising considering HE PAYS NO TAXES. In response to estevens who said: Time for some flashback facts: October 2003 – The city council voted 6-3 in favor of an ordinance that would restructure the city’s debt, refinancing at a higher rate of interest and extending the payments over a longer period. The cost of doing so was nearly $15M in ADDITIONAL interest, plus another half-million paid in borrowing costs, payable to NW Financial, whose principal and founder Dennis Enright saw fit to contribute $28K to the then Roberts-controlled Hoboken Democratic Party in the three-year period leading up to the refinancing. Voting for: Addeo, Campos, Cricco, DelBocchio, Giacchi, Ramos. Voting against: Castellano, Marsh, Soares. That’s $15 million spent to defer, not save, $2M in annual debt costs for a five-year period that ends this year. City council chambers were packed with city workers who were told that there would be $2M in layoffs if the restructuring did not pass. From the HR, 10/5/2003: 3rd Ward Councilman Vincent Addeo said that it is worth absorbing the future cost to protect jobs today. He said that the “working people” should not be made to carry the brunt of this burden. “I strongly believe that in this case, the… Read more »
gazzosdriver
Member
gazzosdriver

I cannot devise a plan to cut costs without including layoffs, furloughs and demotions. How do you cut a budget in a meaningful way without cutting headcounnt? Answer it for me and pay attention to the word meaningful.

matt_72
Member

Yeah so? Petey’s solution is to pretend he is lowering the budget by either pushing out expenses into future periods, sell/mortgage city assets like the police station to fund the operating expenses of the city & by approving tons & tons of high rises & PILOTs. I’ll take the cuts. Plenty of dead weight workers to cut, time to chop the wood!!!!

PJIII
Member
PJIII

Oceanbloo,

Submitting that Ryn Melberg and former city council candidates Chris Carbine and Timothy Occhipinti are the usual suspects (as they are pictured here with Cammarano) is asinine. They are all newer political aspirants in town.

The police (also pictured here) are supporting Peter in part because he is the better candidate and in part because Dawn was vowed to lay off police officers, firefighters and teachers once she is appointed Mayor (she’ll do the latter via Kids First which is why she is holding off the contract decisions until after the election to freeze those 11 people in fear of their jobs. Trust me, come the June BOE meeting, the 11 of them are out on their butts). Dawn has only one apparent way of reducing the budget and that is through layoffs, furloughs and demotions.

Lastly, Richard Del Boccio (also pictured here) is by far the most reputable of our former council people. I don’t even think the usual “attack all Cammarano supporters” brigade that bogs down this site with their stupidity found a premise on which to attach Richard Del Boccio (but I am sure I have now incensed them to do so).

So, Oceanbloo, save it for your next Zimmerfest where it might be bought but no one here is buying it.

Mbattle76
Member
Mbattle76
WOW…..Zimmer said she would lay off all those people? I must have missed that. Stating that 80% of the budget is personnel and that the issue must be addressed is not a clear interpretation of laying off people. The majority of it can be done with attrition and simple negotiations. However, telling the Police, Fire and School teachers all their jobs, salaries, raises and pensions are safe is irresponsible and a blatant disregard to the people of Hoboken. In response to PJIII who said: Oceanbloo, Submitting that Ryn Melberg and former city council candidates Chris Carbine and Timothy Occhipinti are the usual suspects (as they are pictured here with Cammarano) is asinine. They are all newer political aspirants in town. The police (also pictured here) are supporting Peter in part because he is the better candidate and in part because Dawn was vowed to lay off police officers, firefighters and teachers once she is appointed Mayor (she’ll do the latter via Kids First which is why she is holding off the contract decisions until after the election to freeze those 11 people in fear of their jobs. Trust me, come the June BOE meeting, the 11 of them are out on their butts). Dawn has only one apparent way of reducing the budget and that is through layoffs, furloughs and demotions. Lastly, Richard Del Boccio (also pictured here) is by far the most reputable of our former council people. I don’t even think the usual “attack all Cammarano supporters” brigade… Read more »
emarche
Member
PJIII (using your candidate’s first and middle initials…interesting choice unless, of course, you’re the deadbeat himself), where did Oceanbloo submit that? Did she directly state that Ryn and Chris and Tim are usual suspects? No. Cherry pick your battles as you see fit, but the point remains: all of these endorsements are hardly shocking, not really impressive and are ultimately the usual suspects scrambling out of the woodwork (and out from under their rocks) looking to trade an empty endorsement for a handout down the line. Here’s what’s funny: “Richard Del Boccio is by far the most reputable of our former council people”. Tacit admission that most former council people/usual suspects in this town are shady? Check. Can’t wait to see how much of a regular you are on this site post-election when the checks stop coming. In response to PJIII who said: Oceanbloo, Submitting that Ryn Melberg and former city council candidates Chris Carbine and Timothy Occhipinti are the usual suspects (as they are pictured here with Cammarano) is asinine. They are all newer political aspirants in town. The police (also pictured here) are supporting Peter in part because he is the better candidate and in part because Dawn was vowed to lay off police officers, firefighters and teachers once she is appointed Mayor (she’ll do the latter via Kids First which is why she is holding off the contract decisions until after the election to freeze those 11 people in fear of their jobs. Trust me, come the… Read more »
oceanbloo
Member
oceanbloo
Well, Ryn couldn’t have endorsed Cam. as she was running herself. If previous mayors and council members had handled the budget better, maybe they wouldn’t be facing layoffs now. I don’t think anyone in the world wants police officers, fire fighters or teachers laid off. (That’s for another argument.) I cannot fathom how Peter is going to “lower taxes” at the same time preserving all these jobs. So I can’t fathom how Peter is the “better candidate.” Zimmerfest? If you look back in history you’ll see that I was severely annoyed when Zimmer announced she was running. Mason would have been the best mayor of the three. Unfortunately, she screwed up so badly, and was duped so magnificently during the campaign, that even I could not vote for her. I’m sick and tired of the corruption in this town – that’s why I’m voting Zimmer. And I’m sick and tired of the obvious paid bloggers on this site. You’re as transparent as Peter is shady. In response to PJIII who said: Oceanbloo, Submitting that Ryn Melberg and former city council candidates Chris Carbine and Timothy Occhipinti are the usual suspects (as they are pictured here with Cammarano) is asinine. They are all newer political aspirants in town. The police (also pictured here) are supporting Peter in part because he is the better candidate and in part because Dawn was vowed to lay off police officers, firefighters and teachers once she is appointed Mayor (she’ll do the latter via Kids First… Read more »
Watchmaker
Member
Watchmaker
Why accuse people of being “paid bloggers” or “trolls” without remotely trying to understand their point. I once believed in the “reformers” like Carol Marsh and Tony Soares: never again. Those people are jealous and whinny opportunists. Worse: if Dawn wins and they have the majority, the HCDO will buy them cheaply. Either way, nothing will get done. So, just because you hate corruption and you would like it to disappear and Dawn says she agrees with you, doesn’t mean it will end sooner with her as the mayor than with Cammarano. In response to oceanbloo who said: Well, Ryn couldn’t have endorsed Cam. as she was running herself. If previous mayors and council members had handled the budget better, maybe they wouldn’t be facing layoffs now. I don’t think anyone in the world wants police officers, fire fighters or teachers laid off. (That’s for another argument.) I cannot fathom how Peter is going to “lower taxes” at the same time preserving all these jobs. So I can’t fathom how Peter is the “better candidate.” Zimmerfest? If you look back in history you’ll see that I was severely annoyed when Zimmer announced she was running. Mason would have been the best mayor of the three. Unfortunately, she screwed up so badly, and was duped so magnificently during the campaign, that even I could not vote for her. I’m sick and tired of the corruption in this town – that’s why I’m voting Zimmer. And I’m sick and tired of the… Read more »
wpDiscuz