More on the proposed HoLa! Program
Learn about HoLa!
If you are interested in learning about dual language education, and specifically about the HoLa program being proposed for the Hoboken Public Schools for September, 2009, please join us for an info session this Saturday, January 31, 2-3:30pm, at the Boys & Girls Club, 123 Jefferson Street. This will be an open house forum, with a brief presentation and a variety of stations and materials available. Pizza will be served and babysitting will be provided, so feel free to bring the kids.
** Please note that this program has not yet been approved by the Board of Education, but that we continue to actively seek approval for September, 2009. All outreach and advocacy is being conducted through our own efforts and at our own expense.
A few answers to our most frequently asked questions….
- A range of academic, cognitive and linguistic benefits are associated with dual language education.
- The HoLa program follows the established Two-Way Immersion model of dual language education, where students from different language backgrounds learn together in both Spanish and English. No previous exposure to a second language required!
- If approved, the HoLa program will be a fully integrated offering of the Hoboken Public Schools (not a charter), and will follow the standard curriculum of the public schools, adapted for an immersion setting.
- If approved, registration will be open to all Hoboken residents with children entering K or 1 in September (with a grade added each year through 8th). If demand exceeds availability, a lottery will be conducted to ensure fair access.
- If approved, space will be provided within the Hoboken Public Schools (at the discretion of the Superintendent).
- Students with special needs are embraced and provided for, according to need, in dual language classrooms.
- Dual language classrooms do not cost any more to operate than other classrooms. One-time start up costs are minimal.
Please feel free to contact us directly with any other questions: email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!