Being a weather man is not easy

1/28/2009:

It’s a big storm, but NYC gets short-changed

OK – we have some light snow in our area now – and will continue for the next several hours.

Then, according to meteorologists, we will experience a changeover to sleet, freezing rain and plain rain for much of Wednesday. Then, at the very tail-end of this complex storm, will have a brief stint of snow again.

hoboken-winter-weather-january-28-2009.jpg

I just want to “defend” the weather men and women out there for a moment. Many times, people (myself included) say that “they never get it right” or something similar. Forecasting the weather is not an easy thing to do. Much of what they base their predictions on are “computer models” that were developed by one batch of scientists or another. They use some sort of algorithm, historical data and input from the various weather beacons installed throughout the world.

It’s plainly obvious that calling the weather more than 24-48 hours out is still a tough nut to crack, even after all these years, and all the new technology. Because when it all looks “perfect,” mother nature throws yet another curve ball at these propeller-heads. A work in progress, so to say.

My wish would be – that these weather folk start a new trend – rather than hyping up the possibility of the “big daddy” of a storm – why not just calmly explain what the potential is (equally) on both sides of the spectrum? You know how media loves to pump up the “worst case scenario” for whatever reason (usually ratings), but I would sure appreciate if a weather person simply said:

“At the current time, the potential exists for a major storm, however, we have the same chance that it will be nothing. We won’t know for another few days, but keep it in the back of your mind that there’s a possibility.”

But after reading thousands of messages from wanna-be weather-freaks – and real meteos – I’ve concluded that a majority of the weather personnel that are out there these days – truly WANT the big storm. Because for those couple days, they are the top story – the ones that are most important. They feel useful.

Perhaps if they just told it like it is – they would be!!

Leave a Reply

11 Comments on "Being a weather man is not easy"

homeworld
Member

“Bombogenesis” Blizzard next week for Ground Hog Day?

http://www.footsforecast.info/

escaped68
Member

My daughter friends husband works for NOAH, weather bureau, and he simply tells people he’s a janitor and denies working for NOAH. He told me it saves a lot of abuse.

Hobokent
Member
Hobokent
I took a sh!t load of Atmospheric Science classes in college and it annoys me when people rag on information provided by the National Weather Service. Their job is to keep you informed of the possibilities of the variances from normal. When you see 30% chance of rain, that means there is a 70% that you will NOT get rained on, but if they told you that there is almost no chance of rain and you left for work or sent your kids to school unprepared, you’d have a cow. Hurricane Katrina is an example of how far their models have come along in the last 20 years. The hurricane hadn’t even crossed Florida and they had it hitting ‘close’ to New Orleans some 96 hours out. That boggles the mind considering we can’t even predict how long it will take to get home tonight. Think about today’s weather forecast on a macro scale rather than what’s falling on your head at 2:00pm today . . . We were told that a significant storm would hit the NYC area from early this morning thru early this evening. Correct. The NWS gave us rough lines of where it would snow, turn into mixed and be just plain rain. If you look at the map over a 300 mile stretch, they nailed it within 10%. Correct. If you don’t like sensationalism, may I suggest channel 61 (traffic and weather together) or the Weather Channel on the 8’s? Or better yet, just go… Read more »
LearninHob
Member
LearninHob

Dr. Chico, to be fair, they all DID say there was some kind of snowstorm coming, and without them would we have known? I agree with 411, they can’t be perfect. They do sensationalize a lot though.

I think 411 himself does a good job alerting us to storms, he is often the first one to make me aware!!!

Dr.Chico
Member
Dr.Chico

Get bent – what other job can you be totally inaccurate and get paid over 100k? It’s obivious you can’t do that at Lehman or Bear any longer – why should this be any different? These people are jokes –

wpDiscuz