BoE Meeting 11/18/2008
See tentative agenda for tonight’s Hoboken Board of Education meeting below. Note: the meeting is scheduled to begin at 5:00pm instead of the usual
6:00pm 7:00pm start time.
On top of the agenda – one Hoboken resident is especially concerned with item #3:
More money flying out the door at the BoE
As a member of the Hoboken Family Alliance I received an email over the weekend from the “HoLa team” (Camille Korschun Bustillo, Jennifer Hindman Sargent, Mary Azzarto Ciampa), encouraging HFA members to come to the BOE meeting Tuesday, November 18th at 5pm to support “reaching a milestone in the development of Hoboken’s dual language elementary program” (Spanish/English).
What they didn’t tell you is that they (three parents) are expecting to receive a consulting contract in the amount of $150,000 for the next 6 months from the Hoboken Board of Education. A program that they described in their June email to HFA members as an “independently run contract school.”
Here are just a few of my concerns:
- why would the Superintendent support using taxpayer money to fund an “independently run contract school”?
- when did the board start paying parents for their involvement and commitment to their children’s education?
- isn’t Asst. Superintendent Dr. Petrosino rewriting the entire curriculum for the district and isn’t his salary $150,000?
- isn’t Dr. Petrosino’s curriculum committee funded with another $100,000?
- how much is the entire budget for this “school”- teachers, textbooks, supplies?
- where will this “school” be housed in the district?
- is now the right time to start a “new school”?
The questions are endless and the answers non-existent.
What do you think?
A concerned parent/taxpayer/HFA member
FYI – you can read more about it here www.hoboken.k12.nj.us (under Our Schools click on Hoboken Dual Language Program – HOLA)
SEE THE AGENDA AFTER THE JUMP…
Tentative Agenda – November 18, 2008
- Acceptance of 2007-2008 School District Audit Report.
- Approval of minutes.
- Presentation on Dual-Language Program. (as mentioned above)
- Utilization of facilities: outside agencies and community facility requests.
- 2008 Revision of Policy Manual 4000 Series – 2nd Reading.
- Personnel: resignations, appointments, transfers and postings.
- Possible closed session discussion on litigation settlement, including workers’ compensation matters, current litigation, potential litigation and personnel items; discussion of negotiations with HEA and other employees.
- Leaves of absence: Family Leave; Maternity Leave.
- Approval of payroll.
- NCLB Title III Consortium with East Newark and Secaucus School Districts.
- Emergency Contract pursuant to 18A:18A-7.
- Fiscal reports, school reports, Board Committee reports, Board Secretary/Treasurer Reports, Fire Drill reports.
- Possible discussion and/or action on the future of the school districts’ facilities.
- Attendance at workshops.
- Claims, regular and Workers Compensation Third Party Administrator.
- Third Party Administrator for 403(b) Retirement Plan.
- Contract for Non-Public Special Education Services under IDEA Program.
- Approval of field trips.
- Settlement of Workers’ Compensation Litigation.
- Special Education: evaluations, agreements, outside placements.
- Children’s Internet protection Act.
Any matters relating to the above items may come before the Board. Please be advised that the Board may be required to go into closed executive session during this meeting to discuss litigation settlement, current litigation, potential litigation and personnel items. Action may be taken on all agenda items.
Published by order of the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Hoboken.