Where’s the meeting?

Where’s the meeting???

Last Wednesday’s Hoboken City Council meeting was quite a spectacle. There was the introduction of the Judy Tripodi-ordered $120 million budget (up from $52 million just seven years ago when Dave Roberts took the Mayor’s office), a string of eloquent speakers angrily protesting the massive 47% increase in city taxes, and a City Council struggling to cut spending in what ended up being a pointless effort. What made this meeting most poignant was the fact that so many new faces showed up to express their views on the budget fiasco. Speaker after speaker rose to the microphone to express their anger and disgust, while others applauded loudly at each point, especially when people called for the Mayor’s resignation.

hoboken-council-meeting-missing-from-channel-78.jpg

So why isn’t the meeting on Channel 78?

Normally it only takes about a day and a half before we can see the meetings on Cablevision, but this week the meeting has mysteriously gone missing. For a while we saw the last meeting from mid-October, and then nothing at all but a blank screen. The meeting is also missing from the city website. Rumor has it people close to the Mayor were so shaken by what went down that it has been ordered “delayed” from public view.

What should I do to protest this stupidity?

Call the Mayor’s office today and complain. Just leave a brief message explaining that you do not appreciate that the meeting is being kept off the air, and want to see how the City Council is acting during this critical time. Call 201-420-2013 or 2031 to let them know how you feel about this effort to keep the council meeting off of your television.

In the meantime, while you are watching cobwebs grow waiting for the meeting to show up on Channel 78, you can watch the video right here:

(UPDATE: The video was painfully long to watch the other way – and excerpted about a half our of good resident comments)

Public Comments – Hoboken Council Meeting November 5 2008 from Hoboken411 on Vimeo.

Or go to WeThePeopleReports.com. Many intelligent taxpayers came to the microphone beginning around 8:09 with Donna Antonucci and wrapping with Charlie Mancini at around 8:34. These are just the kind of public comments that give the Mayor and his handlers fits.

Leave a Reply

29 Comments on "Where’s the meeting?"

truth1
Member
truth1

Check on 11-17-08 budget hearing ❗ It’s not official yet.
Call city clerk 201-420-2070 to confirm 🙄

truth1
Member
truth1

Mo DeGennaro ($1 advisor) was fiscal and legal dynamite ❗ He showed knowledge, wisdom and leadership in stating that the Tripodi budget should be INTRODUCED and then take out the hatchets and knives TO CUT same. That is the duty of the city council with this massive tax situation. The city council with its two lawyers as members and the city corporation counsel looked sadly inept. Education helps but common sense prevails. You need to listen to the old as well as the new voices…a blend for a better Hoboken 💡

truth1
Member
truth1

As was said at the 11/05 council meeting, 80% of success is showing up” (Woody Allen quote). It then follows that the other 20% is doing something about it…learn and vote for change 💡

Colonblow
Member
Colonblow

The sleeping giant is waking.
Thanks to the newcomers who came to their first city council meeting – I hope you realize that the machine is hoping new Hoboken will stay asleep. They need you to stay asleep and quiet so they can keep lining their pockets.
And Lane and Forde – you rocked it!

road
Member
road

Who came up with the $120M figure and why?

I’m confused: If the council already determined that $100+M budget was out of control, why would this budget exceed it?

I agree with Lane Bajardi, they should take the $52M from 2001, add on 3% cost of living, compounded for 7 years and come up with the budget. I’m no math genius, but I don’t even think it would add up to $70M.

wpDiscuz