Hoboken Week in Review – 11/9/2008
America has a new President-Elect in Barack Obama! While all the buzz in town (and the rest of the country) was the historical election – there were still plenty of Hoboken topics making headlines on 411.
What made the most discussed entries for the week ending Sunday November 9, 2008?
Hottest topics of the week
- YOUR TAX BILL
Mismanagement and over-spending by the Hoboken City Government left property tax-paying residents footing the bill. They absolutely will NOT forget about this come election time in May – despite the political spin machine trying to lay responsibility on those seeking transparent government.
- Election Frezy!
Many topics covered the 2008 Presidential Election. Some noteworthy hot-button entries were:
- The Election night live-blog was a huge success – with over 1,000 user comments!
- MVP Quarterback Eli Manning casts his vote in Hoboken.
- A simple post about an Obama vs. McCain computer game got tons of traction.
- Hoboken Republicans state their case.
- Sarah Palin was the subject of a prank.
- What influence did the media and gallup polls have on the election?
- Researchers demonstrate how easy it is to hack the Sequoia Voting machines.
The wacky Sybil’s Cave opens – Hoboken insiders have a love fest congratulating themselves. See Hoboken411 music video.
Hundreds of onlookers get soaked for 2.5 hours as Hoboken residents are remembered for their sacrifices.
Carmelo Garcia’s property on Bloomfield Street makes news again – this time damaging the home next door.
What was the hot topic at this weeks council meeting? Property taxes, of course!
A Hoboken411 reader expresses their displeasure towards 3rd Ward Councilman Michael Russo – and the pamphlet he sent out.
Not necessarily a good thing – especially when the poll is “Who would you remove from City Hall!”
- NEW Hoboken411 Feature!
A weekly “Ask the Financial Guru” entry is born!
- More pedestrians eat car paint
The last two nights – several people were hit by cars! It’s a regular occurrence in Hoboken!
- They are watching YOU!
Don’t pick your nose in public – because it’s likely someone at the Hoboken PD can see you!
- Dancing, drugs and alcohol
Another drunken brawl takes place at the Bar None club downtown.
Don’t forget to check the Hoboken411 event calendar!
Some upcoming events in Hoboken:
- Conflux NJ – Head over to Maxwell’s and get inspired with other local artists. 7pm tonight.
- The Annual Taste of Hoboken is on Tuesday, November 11th!
- Time is running out for the NY Waterway Fall Foliage Cruise! Hoboken411 readers save $5 bucks too!!
- Get Jersey Fresh produce at the Hoboken Farmers Market – May be the LAST WEEK!