Fashion Lab summer camp
Want to give your girls something to do this summer, but don’t really want to send them away to camp? Here’s a great option from M. Avery Designs to bide the time, as well as teach them an actual skill. Hard to believe, right?
Fashion Lab is Hoboken’s only day camp for kids & teens age 10-18 teaching fashion design & basic sewing.
Fashion lab will be split into two different age groups.
- Students entering 5th – 8th grade will meet Tuesdays & Thursdays beginning June 17th,
- Students entering 9th-12th grade will meet on Wednesdays & Fridays beginning June 18th.
Both groups will meet from 1-3pm. Each camp session will meet twice a week for 2 hours a day for five week sessions.
Both age groups will focus on learning basic sewing skills, in addition to basic fashion design techniques used in creating some of todays cutting edge fashion designs.
Each class will be project oriented and each student will leave classes with their finished wearable projects.
Upon graduation, each student will take home a mini-portfolio with photographs of their finished projects. Each student will have the opportunity to participate in the graduation runways fashion show, displaying their hard work.
Read more about the different weekly classes after the jump!
(Fashion Lab, continued…)
- Week 1: Intro to Sewing & Fashion Designs, Headband, Belt, Cosmetic Bag & Clutch Projects.
- Week 2: Review of sewing and fashion design, Handbag & Tote Projects.
- Week 3: Intro to Pattern Readying, Pajama Bottom & Skirt Project.
- Week 4: Review of Pattern reading and Intro to Sketching & Draping. Dress Project
- Week 5: Review of Sketching & Draping. Runway show & Portfolio Prep Project.
There are only 6 spots per session, per age group.
Session 1: Five Weeks – Four hours per week
- Week 1: 6/17-6/20
- Week 2: 6/24 – 6/27
- Week 3: 7/8 – 7/11
- Week 4: 7/15 – 7/18
- Week 5: 7/22 – 7/25
Session 2: Five Weeks – Four hours per week
- Week 1: 7/29 – 8/1
- Week 2: 8/5 – 8/8
- Week 3: 8/12 – 8/15
- Week 4: 8/19 – 8/22
- Week 5: 8/26 – 8/29
Megan Avery, Instructor & Owner of M Avery Designs, started her handbag company in 2001. After creating and selling her handmade handbags for over 3 years, she began teaching her secrets to the public in the form of Handbag workshops to adults and kids. Today her studio is host to regular after school fashion accessory design classes at both the Hudson School and Hoboken Charter School, as well as weekly fashion accessory classes open to the public. In addition, Megan hosts numerous crafty bridal shower, birthday & girls night out celebrations at her inspiring studio. The M Avery Designs “Make your Own Handbag Workshop” was featured on NBC’s Today show this past summer.