Tremitiedi on Cigarettes
This weekend, former Hoboken Fire Chief Richard Tremitiedi sent this common sense reminder out about cigarettes, and how true it is that “Fire Destroys Lives,” and can be prevented:
“The cause of the McSwiggan’s tavern fire by City Hall was determined to be by the use of cigarettes. The cause of the 1203 Washington St. fire has not been determined to date; but it quite possibly could have been caused by cigarettes.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration each year over 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. Their key message is “If you smoke, Put it out All the Way. Every Time.”
Most smoking related-home fires happen on beds, furniture, or in trash when smokers do not put cigarettes all the way out, toss hot ashes in the trash or fall asleep while smoking according to US Fire Administrator Greg Cade. What’s important to remember is that smoking home fires can easily be prevented. It just takes a few seconds to light up – and a few seconds to make sure that the cigarette is really out.
“Cigarettes Don’t Know When You Are Asleep” is a motto also used by the US Fire Administration.
You can research this and get additional information at: www.usfa.dhs.gov – They have begun a public education program about the dangers of smoking.”
Retired Hoboken Fire Chief