Turban makes news in Hoboken

2/3/2008:

A reader told me they were at Madison tonight, and took this picture of a new sign they had on the front door! Hooray!

hoboken-madison-turbans-allowed.jpg

1/31/2008:

Figured I’d add the news report for those that missed it..

Oh, and see the CBS2 news report from tonight here.

1/30/2008:

hoboken-woman-hates-turbans.jpgOne mans religious faith leads to bias allegations against a Hoboken resident.

WNBC reported that Carrie Covello, 37, of Hoboken, allegedly tried to rip the turban off a Sikh man’s head over at Madison Bar & Grill early yesterday morning.

38-year old Hansdip Singh Bindra, of Union City said “I was just placing an order, and thought someone was trying to rip my turban off.” He thought this was the last thing you’d expect, even being at a bar filled with intoxicated patrons after midnight. He claims Covello wanted him to remove his turban because she didn’t like it. He then advised the bouncer of the situation, but called the police anyway, who eventually arrested the woman and charged her with bias intimidation and harassment. Penalties vary from probation to a year and a half in prison, if she’s convicted. He said that if bias crimes like this go without consequences, they’re apt to commit them again.

Covello later admitted “touching” the turban, but claims she was only goofing around and having fun. Bindra said he felt violated because wearing a turban is part of the five mandated articles of faith of the Sikh religion.

Dave Carney, owner of the Madison bar said “It’s deplorable behavior from a customer we hope to never see again.”

1. Katie_Scarlett says:

A guilty plea is a plea. A conviction is a conviction. So while a guilty plea leads to a conviction, it is not a synonym for it. When you go to law school, you learn to parse words. 😆

All you lawyer haters have a right to your opinion. I just know that to hate the entire profession, to lump them all together despite the diversity of specialties, is a very narrow-minded and ignorant view. :roll:

2. matt_72 says:

Ahhhh…..so in towine’s mind, if a person admits guilt, that doesn’t count. But if a jury finds them guilty, then that does count. I see. I believe that guilty is guilty and the only difference b/w a conviction and a plea is in a plea you have an honest felon and in a conviction you have a dishonest felon. I guess not being a lawyer, I am not so good at using language to distort what I mean. I just blurt it out 😉

And I don’t hate all lawyers. I dislike trial attorneys as a profession (though recoginize their legitimate use when there is an actual wrong – not in Mr. Bindari’s case), I despise mass tort litigators (especially those that specialize in asbestos, silicosis, etc…), I absolutely think it is wrong to go after the “deep pockets” even when that “deep pocket” isn’t the entity that committed the wrong, I hate jury and venue shopping and think that most suits need not ever get to the point where lawyers are hired. I think I laid out lots of specific examples of the types of cases I have problems with.

3. homeworld says:

[quote comment=”66548″]I have also been lurking here too, and am of Indian descent, but not a Sikh. I believe Mr. Bindra was singled out because of his perceived religious background (Muslim/Arab maybe) by Ms. Covello. Seems like most posters here feel Ms. Covello is the victim. [/quote]

How could anyone think she’s a victim? She’s just an idiot.

4. Katie_Scarlett says:

ps-I used to smoke.

5. matt_72 says:

[quote comment=”66787″]matt- I agree with most of what you’re saying then. I have a serious problem with personal injury ambulance chasers (yes there are some legitimate ones out there but the vast majority skeeve me out), and mass tort litigators, particularly tobacco case attorneys (representing those POOR smokers) drive me insane.

ps-I used to smoke.[/quote]

Never threw a bomb at corporate attnys. I think that is what you are (not sure). You guys are needed to protect companies from other lawyers. Though I do have a problem w/ the whole concept of needing a lawyer to protect yourself from other lawyers…….

But then again, you get paid by the hour (if at a firm) and I don’t mind that at all. It is the contingency fee lawyers who seem most to abuse the system the most.

6. restiek says:

irishjihad, I forgot to mention earlier, but you said you never see the legal profession policing its own. When you get a chance, take a look at the NJ Law Journal, or other bar association newspaper / newsletter. In most, you will see where attorneys are being sanctioned, fined, suspended, or disbarred. That there is a monthly column is both reassuring that the system of checks and balances works, but also that we have that many lawyers who are corrupt is saddening.

Always a great debate……….happy thoughts……

7. hobokentownie says:

[quote comment=”66772″]Ask folks in Europe for their opinions about our litigious society. It’s called being responsible for your own actions. Unfortunately, things there are rapidly heading towards our end of the spectrum.

Even in your example of the OB/GYN, the doc didn’t create the tumor. They made a mistake. Remember mistakes? Do you catch every single mistake you make at work?[/quote]
    Opinions of fallen empires and aging societies no longer matter.

If I make a mistake and it costs someone money, they have a right to collect from me. However, I do not cause physical harm and esoteric concepts like pain and suffer are hard for charlatans like yourself to understand.

I love people like you, it gives me a smile when a jury awards a large sum against your kind.

[quote comment=”66773″]

As for your hypothetical – if negligence could be proven, I would sue, absolutely. But there is a difference between negligence and happenstance. And you lawyers don’t seem to understand that. Just b/c something bad happens (like cancer, or a death, or cerebral palsy, etc….) it doesn’t automatically mean someone is to blame and a suit must be filed. Sometimes sh*t just happens. And just because you go to a doctor, that doesn’t mean he/she automatical knows everything that is going on in your body and can completely diagnose every possible ailment you might or might not happen.[/quote]

Matt – as far as your hypothetical goes you forgot Vioxx settlement – remember they were going to fight each one – shouldn’t a corporation that intentionally deceives the public be dissolved?

You also forgot Fen-phen class action. Heart valve disease is pretty harmful, right?

Would you use a trial lawyer to handle a real estate matter (dispute) if it could not be settled?

8. irishjihad says:

Hobokentownie, “A charlatan is a person practising quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money or advantage via some form of pretence or deception.”

Sounds a LOT more like the definition of a lawyer than an engineer.

And exactly what type of people do you enjoy seeing large settlements against? Law-abiding, non-litigious people? You are just proving yourself to be the classic, loathesome lawyer who enjoys and profits on the suffering of others.

As for the vioxx case (or any of the others mentioned), if the companies are so obviously doing wrong, why are there lawyers willing to defend them? Isn’t that unethical? I’m sure you’ll come back with the,”everyone deserves representation,” line, which really translates into the, “there’s money to be made representing these people.” I doubt you were involved in the cases, but you certainly seem willing to pass your own judgement without knowing all the facts of the cases. Isn’t that exactly what lawyers tell everyone else they shouldn’t do? I hope you represent your clients better than you represent yourself here. I didn’t think my general opinion of the law profession could get any lower. But that’s one thing you’ve proven wrong here.

9. oh well okay says:

this is how these incidents should be handled – disorderly persons offenses – not hate crime bullshit. i wonder how many alarmists from this thread would advocate jail time for this guy:

N.Y. Student who Dumped Qurans in Toilet Gets Community Service

NEW YORK (AP) — A former Pace University student who twice threw copies of the Quran into a toilet at the school after disputes with Muslims pleaded guilty Monday to disorderly conduct in connection with the incidents.

Stanislav Shmulevich, 24, pleaded guilty as part of a deal in which he must do 300 hours of community service. He has completed about 80 hours of the service at a hospital, his lawyer said.

Shmulevich, of Brooklyn, admitted he tossed the Muslim holy books into toilets at Pace on Oct. 13, 2006, and Nov. 21, 2006. A criminal complaint says the Quran that was recovered in the October incident “was covered in feces.”

In both cases, a teacher found the books in a men’s room on the second floor of the school’s main building in lower Manhattan.

Muslims consider the Quran a sacred writing that contains the direct word of God, and desecrating it is seen as an offense against God.

Detective Faisal Khan, who prepared the complaint, said Shmulevich told him “he committed the acts out of anger toward a group of Muslim students with whom he had a recent disagreement.”

Shmulevich, a business major and immigrant from the former Soviet Union, initially was charged with two counts of criminal mischief as a hate crime. The charge is a felony punishable by up to four years in prison.

His lawyer, Glenn Morak, said he believed the disorderly conduct plea was an appropriate disposition.

“There was no hate crime here,” Morak said. “He accepts responsibility, and he is repentant.”

Shmulevich, the lawyer said, is no longer at Pace, which has about 14,000 students on its campuses in New York City and Westchester County.

10. getreal says:

[quote comment=”66519″]I am Indian and has been a victim of a hate-crime. And, I can tell you this was not a HATE-CRIME, it’s only a foolish incident. Mr. Bindra has over-acted and I do think he is simply looking for attention and sympathy. he could’ve educated the young-lady instead of behaving as ignorantly as she did.[/quote]

11. s2njerz says:

[quote comment=”76456″][quote comment=”66519″]I am Indian and has been a victim of a hate-crime. And, I can tell you this was not a HATE-CRIME, it’s only a foolish incident. Mr. Bindra has over-acted and I do think he is simply looking for attention and sympathy.

may be she wanted to pick an easy victim for her boyfriends as indians are known to be quiet people. when a community gets attacked it grows stronger – its good that he got the cops and media involved – atleast people get to know that it is not acceptable. since you made these comments seems like ur an anti-sikh racist hindoo just like the RSS, shivsena and the indian forces who happily kill sikhs in fake police encounters. Just like Tibet wants independence from China the Sikhs also want independence from India[/quote]

I saw this on the news when it first happened and did anyone mention that he also has a lawsuit against delta airlines for the same thing? little shady don’t ya think? Well i do. Anybody who uses the color of their skin or their religion as reasons for a lawsuit is just stupid and over sensitive! I agree with getreal this was no “hate-crime”!!!

12. getreal says:

i didn’t say anything about hate-crime, it was freshnnew. he was picked on because he was different. on another web-site she claims to have said shes “got a problem with that stuff” and “get it off”. not all sikhs carry the dagger only the baptised ones do. the sikhs shouldn’t really be celebrating independence day – they would have been better off under the british rule